Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new bench light

Default Looking for a new bench light

I have been looking at this professional LED benchlight;http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...ional+Led+Lamp and there is a video of LydiaNiz showing it fitted to her workbench and talking about it.

How do you get on with this lamp Lydia? any downsides to LED lights, I have used twin tube bench lights for the past 40 years and my latest one has died, and I am considering this one.

James

Don't know about the light James but just to say if you have DAB radio any LED lighting will remove your signal which we've found to our cost all over the house and have had to change all the bulbs back

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Don't know about the light James but just to say if you have DAB radio any LED lighting will remove your signal which we've found to our cost all over the house and have had to change all the bulbs back
    Thanks for the info Caroline, I don't have any DAB radios so that wouldn't be a problem. My sound system is so ancient it's being sought by collectors of vintage Hi Fi.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I have been looking at this professional LED benchlight;http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...ional+Led+Lamp and there is a video of LydiaNiz showing it fitted to her workbench and talking about it.

How do you get on with this lamp Lydia? any downsides to LED lights, I have used twin tube bench lights for the past 40 years and my latest one has died, and I am considering this one.

James
    I bought this one; not from there, though, but from here, at a considerable discount.
    The cold light it sheds took a little getting used to, but it illuminates far better than my Anglepoise or old Fluorescent lamp used to, and without causing too much reflection off bright metals and stones. Bulb life is the unknown quantity, at this stage. I've had it 14 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Thanks for the info Caroline, I don't have any DAB radios so that wouldn't be a problem. My sound system is so ancient it's being sought by collectors of vintage Hi Fi.

James
    I'm getting so old that I'm pining for dial up phones and record players but I see the latter is coming back so all is not lost.

If you want cheap and cheerful, I use this, fitted with a daylight led bulb, not much more than a tenner all in..
    It has a good range of adjustment, a couple of fixing options, a minor annoyance is that the switch is in line with the flex.

I agree, what counts most is not the lamp, but the light source. This is often a matter of trial and error and a permanently fitted work lamp could be a costly mistake.

I have an anglepoise type, with a 11w 2700K mini spiral CFL. After several experiments, I found that this suits my eyes best for working on reflective things and is not as harsh as LED.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-04-2016 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Bulb life is the unknown quantity, at this stage. I've had it 14 months.
    I was wondering about bulbs for my led ringlight...apparently they don't wear out.

I updated my twin fluro bench light when the tubes went and were very difficult to find, removed the tubes and replace with four strips of adhesive LED's fixed to reflector
    (super bright 5,000k ) almost like daylight over the bench now.

I updated my twin fluro bench light when the tubes went and were very difficult to find, removed the tubes and replace with four strips of adhesive LED's fixed to reflector
    (super bright 5,000k ) almost like daylight over the bench now.