Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition April 2016 - Spring

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post

Paint.net
    or GIMP (GNU Image Manipulating Program) are free image editing software.
    I've been using Lightzone of late for post-processing. I stopped using Flickr so much when they started getting funny about exactly how you linked to photos in fora and never really went back.

Saw this article on retouching jewellery the other day - https://www.photigy.com/the-beauty-a...ore-and-after/ - the before & after shots are particularly interesting. When does it stop being retouching and start becoming painting the whole thing manually?

Thanks guys. It's annoying, I got rid of my light tent and bought a light box which has made everything worse! I've tried playing with the white scale thingy and it just lightens to a lighter blue or green at the moment. I think the fluorescent lights aren't helping?

Sorry it's so small,I didn't realise. I actually ended up cropping it in paint to try and remove some of the harshness in the background, won't say how many times I had to 'undo' after painting over an earring.

Just taken a photo on my phone, in my bedroom and its much clearer. I just had to do it by hand and could only hold one at a time as they need to hang and stop moving around.

So this should hopefully be bigger and clearer

Am I allowed to add pics to my entry now or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    When does it stop being retouching and start becoming painting the whole thing manually?
    That's a very interesting question, Peter. I feel that, particularly when photographing for sale online, there's a balance to be struck: show the piece off as well as possible, but do so honestly, warts and all, without either emphasising the warts or airbrushing them out of existence.

Silverlining, the bigger photo certainly helps, though focus is a bit off - but a crisp image, even with a decent camera and good lighting, is almost impossible when holding item and camera by hand. I think you may be right about the artificial lights giving you colour problems. My best results are generally in natural light, by a big window or even outside. The problem then is avoiding unwanted reflections, especially on silver, easier to avoid with a light box... so I go back and forth...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I've been using Lightzone of late for post-processing. I stopped using Flickr so much when they started getting funny about exactly how you linked to photos in fora and never really went back.

Saw this article on retouching jewellery the other day - https://www.photigy.com/the-beauty-a...ore-and-after/ - the before & after shots are particularly interesting. When does it stop being retouching and start becoming painting the whole thing manually?
    Re Flickr links - I just ignore it and edit the URL it provides to isolate the image.

For post / re-processing I think there's enough to warrant an entire thread or more!

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who sent in their entries to our Spring themed monthly competition in April!

I am happy to announce the winner of this month's competition is Unhindered with the following entry:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	8909

We loved the unique interpretation of the Spring theme, and thought the piece was photographed well with a lovely finish - well done!

Please email competitions@cooksongold.com with your contact details and Cooksongold account number so we can arrange for your prize to be sorted.

Congratulations again!

Thank you so much! I didn't think I would win against the other amazing entries! I will email now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations Charlotte. I hope this puts a spring in your step. Dennis.

Well done! It's a lovely ring and perfect for the Spring theme.
    Alan

Congratulations Charlotte - beautiful ring and well deserved win.

Susieq

Congratulations on your win Charlotte, a gorgeous ring :-)
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish