Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold plating Argentium

Default Gold plating Argentium

Good day,
    Has anyone experience gold plating Argentium? I found an online resource, but it pre-treats with acid, which I would rather not do.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Just interested, but if you're gold plating, then why use Argentium? The gold plate would prevent silver tarnish, so what's the benefit?

I guess I could have provided more detail. I'm making a salt cellar, and I want to protect the silver from corrosion.

Have you done any testing on activated Argentium to see if it'll shrug off the chloride? I'd assumed it would, but I've not done anything to validate the assumption.

I have wondered the same thing, but thought the test may take months or years to show results. I also thought that since gold plating is a sure thing, I would try that avenue first.
    Your suggestion is a good idea, though, so I think I will activate a piece of scrap and start the test.

Hah. Amazing what you find while googling. I'd forgotten I'd made some salt spoons a few years back; I was using one of them last night and despite being a bit grubby (tarnish resistant, not completely tarnish proof) it's not developed a layer of silver chloride (which is insoluble in water, BTW).

Are you making a salt cellar or salt caster/shaker, most salt cellars have a glass liner.

I used to get a lot of piercing jobs on the tops of salt and sugar casters.

James

James: I am making a salt cellar. I have read that they sometimes have glass liners but have no idea where to get them.
    Peter: Were your spoons Argentium or regular Sterling?

Bob

A long while back, I made this pepper and salt for a class project, with glass test tubes. It was never used though, because I knew it would clog up. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pepper and Salt term 1, 2000.jpg