Thread: I'm Still on a mission...

Default I'm Still on a mission...

About five years ago I discovered a parent at the school I work in lived in the house I was born in. She invited me and my mother round to have a look to see how it had changed.

One end of the house was 17th century and had this huge old key which made me decide I wanted a much smaller replica made out of silver to wear as a pendant.

I searched for weeks and eventually found someone on the internet who said they could do it from the photo I have but at the time it was more than I could afford. I had no idea how he would do it and I didn’t care I just wanted it! A couple of years later when I could afford it I realised I had deleted him from my favourites and as hard as searched I couldn’t find him again.

For the next two years I periodically trawled the internet hoping I would find a way to do it myself. I eventually came across Silver Clay and got hooked on that but never found a way to replicate the key.

Now I don’t use Silver Clay as much and after watching copious amounts of You Tube videos and reading this forum can make lots of different things out of sterling.
    I still want the key and would love to be able to make it myself but have to admit with my limited knowledge and experience and total confusion about casting and all that don’t think I would be able to unless you know something different………..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	8800

It should be possible to make a computer generated model, reduced in size and then cast it.

Someone here might offer, or you can browse the Goldsmiths Company: http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/libra...hnical-portal/

Choose 'trade services' and then 'casters' or 'CAD'. Dennis.

I would just make a wax model and cast it, simple enough task

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KEY1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	8806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KEY2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	8807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KEY3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	8808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KEY4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	8809

I made a quick CAD file from your image I could not attach the file on the forum as its not a recognised file type but if you PM me you can have it if you like it. Its about 25mm long but that can be changed to whatever size you want. let me know if its any use, You would need to have it 3dprinted or milled and cast. It looks quite new and square as its a computer render but once you have sanded it and polished it will look more key like !
    Last edited by josef1; 24-03-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Thank you Dennis I'll have a look.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I would just make a wax model and cast it, simple enough task

It might be for you but I don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Did you see Josefs post above?
    So extremely kind of him!
    Yes I did thanks and he's sent me all I need to get it sorted and I'm very grateful.