Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sterling silver leaving a mark on skin

I find it pretty different to working with sterling. If soldering, I tend to use argentium solder, but I generally fuse, as this is one of the things I really like about it as a material.

You do need to make sure pieces are well supported when heating as it tends to collapse, and can become very brittle at high temperatures.

I've found Cynthia Eid to be an excellent source of advice for tips and the avoidance of potential pitfalls.

Hi!
    I used Argentium for the first time yesterday, to make a ring for someone with a skin reaction to silver. I read on here a few bits about it, and theres plenty on You tube e.g. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...F75AEA8574308C
    Soldering wise, you don't have to heat the whole piece, musn't move it when red hot, leave to cool a bit more than sterling before quenching. It behaves in a few different ways than sterling..Overall I liked it, bright and best of all.. no fire scale!!
    How is anyone else new to it getting on?
    Sam

I am using Argentium more and more and I tend to prefer it to stirling to me it is more versatile and the fact that it can be hardened in the oven is very useful to me, it is tarnish resistant and much brighter than stirling this is also a plus

Another vote for Argentium - I no longer use any other silver.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    would you still have an issue at the solder join if using sterling solder?
    I would recommend fusing without solder wherever possible, just a little Auflux or the Argentium flux sold by Cooksons - in my experience it's easier (and neater) than soldering, though I sometimes use solder for really small items where there's a risk of meltdown when fusing. I would not recommend using a standard sterling solder - it may look fine to begin with, but will tarnish faster so a contrast will appear over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    My skin reacts terribly to silver. I get the same black marks, followed by inflammation, blisters and bleeding
    That sounds pretty nasty. Have you ever tried wearing Argentium, or would you rather not take the risk? There's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest people who can't tolerate traditional silver alloys can tolerate Argentium. As far as I can understand, the passive layer of germanium oxide that prevents tarnishing also shields the skin from direct contact with the metals/oxides that cause the problems. So it would be best to be sure that it has been properly heat treated for passivation - fresh from pickling and/or polishing, I imagine it would be little different from traditional sterling because the passive layer hasn't had a chance to build up.

Alan

one thing with Argentium is is does not contain nickle, it is the nickle in Sterling that most are allergic to
    I would like to use Argentium exclusively only draw back is the variety in Australia is pitiful, so I have to get it from Rio Grande and if needed quickly that is a problem
    Just made a set of earrings for my mate's wife who was adamant that she could not wear silver, has had no problem with Argentium going on 3 weeks
    Last edited by china; 19-03-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Sterling silver in the UK contains no nickel - I don't know of anyone in the US selling nickel-bearing sterling either.
    Additionally, even if it did it would be banned from use under the REACH directive (previously under the EU nickel directive, now subsumed).

I always have a smile to myself when I hear of these people who would die if they got within 10 feet of some nickle bearing silver, but who happily stick 18/8 stainless steel spoons in their gobs, contacting their moist, delicate, mucous membranes.
    Watching my son lick an angel delight spoon could almost be classed as prolonged and direct contact.
    Did you know it's made from dead angels by the way :-)

Interesting I will have to do some more research, this info came from a immunologist maybe it is the copper?

Thanks for all the info. What exactly is Argentium?