Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardening brooch pins

Default hardening brooch pins

Hi there.
    I've just signed up after many years of making things from books.
    At the moment I'm working on brooches but am not sure about the best way to harden the pins. I don't want to use steel and so far I've tried twisting and beating with a plastic hammer. This seems to work to a certain extent but just wondered if using a metal hammer was the accepted way to do it? Can't seem to find anything on the net.
    Also, could I put one in a tumbler after making sure it wouldn't open? I'd be very grateful for any advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1494.jpg  

I use one of these hammers to harden brooch pins, hammering the pin on a steel block;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-617 although the pin will need a bit of tidying up to remove any hammer marks.

James

Thanks James. I don't have a steel block. Time to get one.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Thanks James. I don't have a steel block. Time to get one.
    Nick
    Also if you polish the face of the hammer, sometimes the hammered finish on the pin looks acceptable. My steel block is just a piece of 4 inch square x 1 inch thick steel I bought from a model engineers show, they are good places to get spare metals.
    That's my steel block on the left of my bench.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39- Workbench with hammers and tools.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	8780

James

I prefer the stainless steel pins, they have more spring than silver and are more robust.
    Is there a reason you don't want to use stainless steel?

For bench blocks, check out this lot on eBay;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25201...&ul_noapp=true

Nope.I just prefer to use the one metal although I know a lot of people do.

Ok well I just think its better to use the best metal for the specific job really

Each metal has its optimum hardness, beyond which it becomes too brittle for purpose. For silver this point is quite low, so it will never be as hard as gold or steel.
    A simple and reliable way to harden pin wires and ear posts is to grasp them in pliers and twist them at intervals along their length, as this hardly marks them.

Please note that tumbling will not cause sufficient distortion to be effective. Dennis.

Thanks for that Dennis.
    I have been twisting but only from the end previously. Noted. About the tumbling, I was referring to it for polishing on completion but wondered perhaps if the pin might be torn off in the process.
    thanks again to eone