Thread: Copper Solder: A Perfect Match.

Default Copper Solder: A Perfect Match.

I recently started a large copper project and thought it would be an opportunity to order some copper solder. In the event, it did not arrive in time, but you might like to see my test results.

It came in 2.0mm square rods and was reduced to a thin strip in the usual way, using my mill. In the absence of a mill, it would need to be beaten to a manageable thickness.

The resultant strip was extremely hard (See my second link below), but once sawn lengthwise could easily be snipped with Maun cutters.

The melting point was similar to that of easy solder and although it is self fluxing, I thought it flowed a little better using some borax

My second picture shows the results on some rings and on a sheet. The copper solder is on the left, silver easy on the right.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2277...FQso0wodtr4HVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMSDl8RUmZw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C1 Soldering Copper.jpg   C2 Soldering Copper.jpg  

That's a more positive report Dennis to the post from reudeleglise recently. It seems a pretty good colour

Certainly a much better colour match than the phos/copper brazing rod I've got.

Looks a better colour than the one I have too, thanks for sharing Dennis.

If its that thick it will need heavy bashing for those of us without a mill. I do quite a lot of items with copper on them, i.e rings with a copper ball in the centre, and you do have to be very careful not to put too much silver solder.

thanks Dennis, looks a great find!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Ive just ordered some, very cheap postage rates too !
    Yes, the only problem is that it takes about three weeks to arrive. I was wondering what you all thought of the video, too? Dennis.

Funnily enough I watched that exact video a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to solder a small copper heart to a sterling pendant. I didn't order any but saved it in my favourites.

I hadn't realised you could buy copper clay and fire it with a blow torch so was quite excited after ordering some. However, I found it a nightmare to fire with the torch, it seemed to take at least 20 minutes or more! I ended up with lots of useless bits and pieces! Also when I tried to solder them to the sterling I ended up melting the sterling!

I've made a couple of bangles out of copper wire and used medium sterling solder but next time I get the urge to make some I'll definitely order some of that. I haven't got those chunky cutters the person had in the video but will take great pleasure in bashing it with a hammer to make it easier to cut!