Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do diamonds loose their shine?

Default Do diamonds loose their shine?

Hey everyone! I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question, but I don't know where else to ask. So I'm here. Yesterday, I took out my diamond studs after very long and found that, they lost their glow. Is it natural for diamonds to loose their shine? Or does it mean that, there are some faults in these diamonds. Is there any way in which I could get the shine back, cause I was thinking of wearing them to a party next week. Would really love to hear some good advice.

If they are diamonds they will only loose their brilliance if they need cleaning, if your settings have open backs then it is probably body fluids inside that restrict the diamond sparkle. Check out this info;http://www.purelydiamonds.co.uk/pure...mond-earrings/

James

Hi Bonnie and welcome to the forum.
    Diamonds, or even CZs wont loose their shine by being worn, once the accretion of sweat and make up has been removed from the surfaces, especially the back and all the recesses. Also the metal setting will have tarnished if of silver or a low carat gold.
    Washing up liquid and a small bristle paint brush might do it, but even better a dipping solution for jewellery and precious metals.

I would suggest that you take them to a jeweler local to you and ask them to see if they need cleaning.

From the link :
    "Always make sure to brush the diamond earrings lightly as to avoid any surface scratching, which is why the softest brush possible should also be used."
    Really? you can scratch diamonds with a brush???

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    From the link :
    "Always make sure to brush the diamond earrings lightly as to avoid any surface scratching, which is why the softest brush possible should also be used."
    Really? you can scratch diamonds with a brush???
    I think that section may refer to the possibility of scratching the surfaces of the earing's metal mounts with a hard brush rather than damaging diamonds with a brush. :-)

Well, I'm actually avoiding to take it to a jeweler, cause I really don't wanna spend on it. I would rather prefer cleansing it at home. I have been searching some tips online and I found this. http://www.pheradiamonds.com/caring-...-diamond-ring/ They have however, mentioned engagement rings here, but I guess its the same for all. Could this be helpful, please advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Well, I'm actually avoiding to take it to a jeweler, cause I really don't wanna spend on it.
    Diamond earrings, and you don't want to have them properly cleaned? If nothing else they could advise you on what you could use at home - they may have some jewellery (or jewelry) specific cleaners available too. Failing that, try soap, hot water and a clean toothbrush.

Jewellers dont tend to charge much for such services IME ?