Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Calling all home working jewellery makers - insurance help needed!

Hi Lauren,

I know you'll probably have done this by now - but if it helps anyone else, I think Home Protect might be worth looking at (underwritten by Axa).

I don't sell anything - but it never occurred to me that home insurance would be the reason I couldn't if I wanted to. Out of curiosity I had a bit of a Google - Home Protect do allow business use that's outside the scope of office and admin, and they have "Precious Metals & Gemstones" as one of their stock categories (promising). Looks like they do Public Liability (but not Product Liability), and they do cover 'business equipment' - more checking would be required to see exactly what would be covered in terms of tools.

You have to talk to them by phone (their website will do an estimated quote for a home jeweller but then they say they'll call you to discuss). From the estimated quote thingie they looked pretty reasonable tho.

Faith

For precious metals I was told I have to have a safe built in to the building , monitored alarm system and security shutters to the windows before they would cover me and domestic policy would be invalid so what do you do to get around this?

Find a different insurer? Some insurers seem to get very silly if they hear about anything out of the ordinary - I would swear some think that "working with precious metals" equates to "holding the UK's remaining gold reserves under the bed" rather than keeping a small amount in a safe.

Bizarre isn't it...

I've found that if you use the price comparison sites (I think I used moneysupermarket), say 'Yes' to business use of the property and then 'No' its not just office and admin, what you get is essentially a shortlist of insurers who are at least open to the idea of you running a non-paper-based business at your house that are then worth contacting.

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 02-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Find a different insurer? Some insurers seem to get very silly if they hear about anything out of the ordinary - I would swear some think that "working with precious metals" equates to "holding the UK's remaining gold reserves under the bed" rather than keeping a small amount in a safe.
    this was from a broker i got commercial business insurance now and craft traders insurance for when out to craft fairs markets etc .