Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Calling all home working jewellery makers - insurance help needed!

It's an all-in-one, so house & contents are there too. There's a few oddball clauses, e.g. I'm covered to work away from home, but not using heat (?); I'm not covered on product liability for items shipped to the US or Canada and I have employee insurance despite having no employees. 3rd party liability is there as part of it. My tooling caused a lot of consternation amongst other underwriters - clearly when I say "laser welder", they hear "giant laser from Goldfinger".

You should ask a lawyer to cast their eye over it & see what the reaction is...

Thank you!

I think the fact that I sell to the US is going to be a problem.

I suspect this insurance is going to end up costing me more than I earn from jewellery each month!

So see if you can get a variation on it?
    It's all a scam, but a necessary one unfortunately.

I wish I could deal with Ageas direct!

I don't think the brokers want to bother with me as my turnover is so low.

I might try NFU Mutual's homeworker policy for buildings and contents then just get a separate one for liability and stock cover - I think it will be easier.

Got a quote from Aviva via a broker for all in at £1250 per year. Does that sound about right? It's way more than I can afford though

Sounds somewhat high - getting on for twice what I'm paying. London weighting?

I thought it sounded a lot. I think I might be better off with separate policies then. My current buildings and contents is £280 per year, so it it somewhat of a hike in price! Also, no option to pay monthly without extortionate interest rates on top.

Will try calling NFU tomorrow to sort home/contents, then try A-N, Ian Wallace etc for the product/public liability and stock cover bit separately.

This has taken up many hours of my time that I should have been spending hitting stuff with hammers!

So long as your current insurer is aware & happy that you're insuring the work side separately. LV threw their toys out of the pram when they were told and cancelled the policy on the spot.

The scared of America stuff is nonsense, so long as your terms say that contracts are formed in England and Wales that is where the jurisdiction is for any legal action. That comes under jurisdiction or conflict of laws - ie when two different legal systems try to take a case.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    So long as your current insurer is aware & happy that you're insuring the work side separately. LV threw their toys out of the pram when they were told and cancelled the policy on the spot.
    My current insurer will not cover for me working from home (I called on an 'if I were to do this thing...' basis) and policy is up for renewal next week so I do need to find both a new buildings/contents policy and then also get PL insurance etc as a separate thing.