Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all home working jewellery makers - insurance help needed!

FYI, my policy is with Ageas (via a local insurance broker) and is fairly comprehensive - buildings, contents, stock (+ in transit), public liability etc.; I've remarkably few restrictions all told.

I don't bother,house insurance is a total rip off anyway.
    I do wonder what public liability we should have though? What sort of things have people been sued for?

I have the GJD gold membership for public/product liability, which seems pretty comprehensive.

As for having a home studio, it's worth having a chat with the NFU mutual - they're used to dealing with lots of different home/working environments and seem to take a rather more pragmatic view than the average off the shelf insurer. They're pretty competitive as well - significantly so for listed buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I don't bother,house insurance is a total rip off anyway.
    It's a rigged game.

For a lot of things, self insurance makes sense - if you've got the capital to back it. For some, there are requirements to have recognised insurance in place.

I agree Peter all insurance is a rigged game.
    I only bother when there is a human injury/death liability element really as thats what gets really expensive.
    I just struggle to see that exists in selling jewellery?

I can think of all sorts of potential for injury with jewellery - usually involving misadventure (and that's ignoring the making risks!). Earrings that snag & tear a lobe, instead of failing at a "safe" (completely nebulous definition) level. Incidental injury from prongs left too sharp. Injuries from too-tight rings stopping circulation. Strangulation from necklaces that don't fail safely... These days, it doesn't really matter if there's any validity to the claim (or even if you have any involvement with the causing incident); if you can't afford to defend it, you're screwed.

Oh - I forgot one condition that exists with my policy: I'm not to export anything to the US. I'm assuming it's because of the potential for liability cases.
    I can probably get it removed, but it'll add to the policy cost.

So have people really been successfully sued for such things?

George, does the GOJD gold membership cover you working in countries outside the UK do you know? Im just a standard member atm.

To get around the US thing, make sure your standard terms state that the contract is made under the law of England and Wales, then they can't sue in the US. Such a term stops an American court claiming jurisdiction even with an american plaintiff.
    I can't think of any cases of evil jewellery succeeding in the UK courts. The problem is that, if there were actions, the instinct of the insurer is to settle out of court (because it is cheaper than against a claimant who probably has no money to recover your costs) which starts a ball rolling
    generally insurance companies these days have become intolerably risk averse.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thank you all so much for the help. We have a local NFU Mizgeorge so I'll pop into them after school drop off tomorrow and I'll have a look at Ageas Peter. I really appreciate the help.

Sorry this is late, but have you tried Ian Wallace. I think he does for insurance for home workers...? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Jules