Thread: Using tin with sterling silver?

Default Using tin with sterling silver?

Hi all!

I have a nice little commission to make, a sterling silver pendant with a set beach pebble and small sparkly stones (prob use CZ),so all good there. But wait!.... they want a piece of tin incorporated into it...... why can't things ever be easy?! It's for a tin (10 year) wedding anniversary...

So, my question is; can I melt some tin into a ball and solder it onto the sterling silver pendant? If so,where do I get tin from and what solder do I use?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Tin will contaminate your work surface if filed or heated and its melting point is quite low at 232°C, so my solution would be to cut it roughly from a bar of tin solder, Possibly with shears and claw set ( or glue in) one or more pieces as part of the design.
    You can also get interesting pieces by melting it in a large stainless steel spoon and dropping it into a bucket of water. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I am tempted to tell the guy that I can't use tin... The design will have 3 or 4 bezel set stones and I guess if I could make a cab shaped tin piece then I could set that in silver too. Depends on how soft tin is, and it is quite soft isn't it? Might just be a pita to do this...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Wouldn't using (lead/) tin solder bring the piece within REACH? or is commissioning a piece not considered sale per se?

A small lump of tin is easily and cheaply available.
    Spend the eight quid and crack on with it, melts easily into a cabouchonish shape, bezel set it and everyone's happy.
    I have bought tin from that particular seller for alloying and it was fine.
    If it's for a tin anniversary, it sounds like the tin is fairly important :-)
    I suspect that for most of us, a bit of tin in the lemel ain't the end of the world.
    If you cast what you have left over into a thin bar, you can have hours of fun listening to it 'cry' when you bend it.

Thanks for that, I hadn't come across that supplier. The one I found only sold in 500g parcels for £40 so thought that was a bit steep to add in to the price of the pendant!

I will probably try to make a "cabochon like blob" and set it into a silver setting.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Another method may be to rough up the end of some silver wire and dip it into some molten tin.
    Assuming it grips well you will have a stem for a rivet style cold connection onto something.
    the tin could also be filed/polished/textured etc to whatever shape or form you chose.
    Would be nice to see the finished result whichever way you go.
    Tim