Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling flat mill

Default Rolling flat mill

Is there any place in Canada to buy the cooksongold rolling mill?
    I see the guy from Celtic jewellery doing a demo.

They look awesome,but wanna get it from within Canada if I can.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on which one you are discussing, if it is the cheap generic blue one don't bother it is a piece of junk (in my opinion)
    Last edited by china; 12-03-2016 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Depends on which one you are discussing, if it is the cheap generic blue one don't bother it is a piece of junk (in my opinion)
    If you're on a budget, the general consensus is that it works for them. i you've had abad experience with it China, tell us more for he record. Dennis.
    s.

Okay, rolls are not hardened correctly(soft spots), rolls are not cylindrical, gears are too hard and break easily, bolts are soft steel and now have stretched threads,
    weld on frame cracked, this I repaired by grinding and re welding, the weld had no penetration. This unit cost me including freight just under $600AUD, I have replaced it with a Pepe Tools item made in USA for $700AUD the Pepe tools is high quality equal (in my opinion) to the much revered industry standard Durston's only half the price. this makes the poor quality generic items from China redundent

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Okay, rolls are not hardened correctly(soft spots), rolls are not cylindrical, gears are too hard and break easily, bolts are soft steel and now have stretched threads,
    weld on frame cracked, this I repaired by grinding and re welding, the weld had no penetration. This unit cost me including freight just under $600AUD, I have replaced it with a Pepe Tools item made in USA for $700AUD the Pepe tools is high quality equal (in my opinion) to the much revered industry standard Durston's only half the price. this makes the poor quality generic items from China redundent
    That's a fairly comprehensive list of things that should not happen. It may have been correctly specced, but I've seen far too many technical purchasing departments decide that product x is "the same" as y , but half the cost and decide on a substitution to the bill of materials. Shouldn't happen, but it does.

I don't think I'll be swapping my Durston for a Pepe mill any time soon though

I agree but for what ever reason my unit was just not usable, I would have chosen a Durston except to have one delivered to South Australia it would have cost around $2000AUD, I stumbled across the the Pepe combination and contacted them expecting the price to be similar turned out to be less than half, the unit is high quality especially for the price I have only had it a short time and only time will tell. Years ago when I first began making jewellery I owned a Durston for various reason I gave up jewellery and most of my equipment was sold, now I find pliers that cost $20 now cost $100, so I have purchased enough budget items to get by and replacing with quality items as I can
    Last edited by china; 12-03-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Thats interesting China
    Ive had mine about a year now and it does only get light use so maybe thats why its been ok?
    Mostly I use it for rolling down 0.5mm gold sheet to 0.3mm although have occasionally used it for rolling thicker gold sheet that Ive cast.

I've had my cheappie from proops a few years and have never had a problem with it.
    Jules