Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patience, not my strong point but I'm learning............

Default Patience, not my strong point but I'm learning............

A co-worker asked for a simple Aventurine ring for her daughter we sorted out the size and I do tend to make them a bit bigger than requested so was very careful to make sure it was the size she wanted. She came back and said it was too small so made sure the next one was a whole size bigger (thinking well she will get this one on for sure)!

She came back again saying she’s decided to wear it on her middle finger and wants it bigger!

That’s when I resort to using expletives under my breath, pour a glass of wine and think wish I’d charged her an extra tenner!

People are very cavalier about ring sizing. They dont really see it as important and are quite likely to agree to the first sizer they put on. Then they forget which finger they wanted it for.

If they are present, I stand over them to make sure they are doing it right. If they are remote, I send out copper or brass shanks in at least three sizes, to verify their choice. This also takes care of the band width/ring size dilemma.

Over the years members have often stated that they have this entirely sussed and it never gives them trouble. All I can do is look skywards and cry 'why me?' Dennis.

People are even more cavalier with bangle sizing IME than ring sizing, somehow they just don't seem to get that they need to provide accurate measurements or it won't fit!
    I also think they have no clue how much work can be involved in resizing things- just had one made to their exact measurements contact me to say its too small and can I alter it *sigh*

I think tbh if they decided to wear on a different finger then they really should be paying for a new ring, that really is going too far.
    Unless it can be easily altered of course, have you got a ring stretcher?

This is a problem we all just have to learn to live with, part of the hobby/profession a mate asked me to make a eternity ring for his wife set with Amethyst,
    I asked what size it needed to be and he made little circle with his thumb and forefinger and said "about this" sadly he was not joking.

And your response was "that's a big amethyst for an eternity ring"?

I will remember that line for next time

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    People are even more cavalier with bangle sizing IME than ring sizing, somehow they just don't seem to get that they need to provide accurate measurements or it won't fit!
    I also think they have no clue how much work can be involved in resizing things- just had one made to their exact measurements contact me to say its too small and can I alter it *sigh*

I think tbh if they decided to wear on a different finger then they really should be paying for a new ring, that really is going too far.
    Unless it can be easily altered of course, have you got a ring stretcher?

No unfortunately I don't have a ring stretcher and she gave me the ring back today which I'm going to keep and try and sell later. I've got another stone exactly the same and am going to give her a ring sizer so will make another.

If it happens in the future it may be worth seeing if you can find somebody with a ring stretcher locally that would let you use it , only takes a few seconds to go up a size.

Well, I know, some customers could be a bit fussy, but I don't think being rude or getting angry on them is gonna do any good.

I just tap up the back to make a stone set ring bigger as long as it's thick enough, otherwise add a piece of silver/gold to expand it, with plain bands I use a ring stretcher unless it's ridiculously thin and going up quite a few sizes. I made a wedding ring recently that is very complicated and it has to go up 1.5 sizes, I'm charging for the adjustment but no where near what it would usually be, just so I don't loose out completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk