Thread: Fixing earrings that may not be silver!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fixing earrings that may not be silver!

Hello! My friend has some earrings that I'd like to fix for her, the post has snapped on the back, however I don't believe they are sterling silver, or even silver at all, so I'm not sure how I should go about soldering the post back on! I'm fairly new to this so have only ever soldered sterling silver. Any advice would be so appreciated, thank you! Daisy x

Quote Originally Posted by daisyvjewellery View Post
    Hello! My friend has some earrings that I'd like to fix for her, the post has snapped on the back, however I don't believe they are sterling silver, or even silver at all, so I'm not sure how I should go about soldering the post back on! I'm fairly new to this so have only ever soldered sterling silver. Any advice would be so appreciated, thank you! Daisy x
    Well Daisy,
    If they are of sentimental value, even broken, then steer clear. If however they are for the bin in their present state, then you can try adding a new post using extra easy silver solder, which is permitted for hallmarking, but has a low melting point.

When adding a post, make a little dip for it to sit in, using a round burr. This gives a better join.

After soldering, the post will need a few quarter turns along its length to test it and harden it. Dennis.

I'd agree with Dennis, but would add that if they have a decent size 'pad' then you do have the option of filing off the broken post completely and replacing it with a glued on version like this: http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/...rcode-NVJ-061X (you can, of course, always make your own with a pin and disc). This is my go-to solution if I have any doubt at all about the composition of this sort of problem and avoids heat completely.

Personally if I couldn't be sure of the metal then I wouldn't do it, but offer the friend a replica pair made in silver instead
    Sian Williamson

Thank you everyone, that's a great help!