Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Melting silver torch advice needed

I couldn't either Pat, I know others have said they have no problem but I couldn't get it hot enough to pour :/

I think my initial thoughts were along the same lines Patstone. I love my handheld torches and can do all my soldering with what I already have. All I really needed was something that would melt my metals with relative ease.

I considered going to the hardware/plumbers merchants and getting one of those too, but was worried I may just be gaining another tool that will not be adequate for the job.

Then i ask myself, will I ultimately end up buying a proper jewellery torch set up? Then I think how much money I'd have saved had I bought a proper jewellery torch in the first place?

I'm torn between Smiths/Sievert or cheaper option like plumbers torch.

I don't care about the sound it makes really, I will be casting in my wonderful garden in the fresh green air.

I have so many questions, I'm sorry

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

THANK YOU soooo much for this brilliant advice guys, I'm so very grateful.

I'm sorry, but I now have a new question if you guys don't mind sharing your wisdom please?

If I wanted a torch that I could solder jump rings to fine chain with, then solder up some chunky spinner rings and bangles, then melt down about 70 - 100g of scrap silver, what torch should I be looking at buying?

Smiths?
    Sievert?
    Propane plumbers/builders torch, and stick with my handhelds for soldering?
    Other cost effective/fairly safe option?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Hope thats helpful
    Very! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevilia View Post
    THANK YOU soooo much for this brilliant advice guys, I'm so very grateful.

I'm sorry, but I now have a new question if you guys don't mind sharing your wisdom please?

If I wanted a torch that I could solder jump rings to fine chain with, then solder up some chunky spinner rings and bangles, then melt down about 70 - 100g of scrap silver, what torch should I be looking at buying?

Smiths?
    Sievert?
    Propane plumbers/builders torch, and stick with my handhelds for soldering?
    Other cost effective/fairly safe option?

Well I've done everything with my sievert but melt or at least not intentionally! As has been said you obviously can use it for melting too. Everyone has their different choices but I haven't used anything but the mediumburner on my sievert in decades until recently I had to attach the big one for enough heat for a cuff.
    I solder biggish pieces and jump rings on the medium burner, the smallest is still in its box

With my set-up Propane cylinder, plumbers torch etc I can melt silver but not good enough to roll, if thats what you wanted it for. It melts things together but not to a useable format. I darent get anything stronger as its in the house and my spare bedroom has a pale carpet and other flammable items in it. I have a scrap pot for my offcuts and am constantly raiding it for bits big enough to make a back for a cabachon or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    With my set-up Propane cylinder, plumbers torch etc I can melt silver but not good enough to roll, if thats what you wanted it for. It melts things together but not to a useable format. I darent get anything stronger as its in the house and my spare bedroom has a pale carpet and other flammable items in it. I have a scrap pot for my offcuts and am constantly raiding it for bits big enough to make a back for a cabachon or similar.
    Oh what a shame Patstone, the propane was starting to look like a cheep solution but yes, I need to roll it into sheet or wire. At least I have one option less to consider now.

Funny, I've had no problems using my Sievert with the standard burner to cast ingots and roll them out both as sheet and wire.
    For smaller work there's a separate neck & burner tube (3537) that works well, but I'd not try soldering extremely fine chain with it.

The Sievert should be used for large scale annealing or casting although the find 'jewellers nozzle' is also available with which you can do more intricate stuff with.

As a general all-round torch, I'm a total convert to the Smiths Little torch + Oxycon setup. Lots of different sized tips available to cater for find delicate work right up to the multijet tip for melting and casting.

Nick

I can melt easily enough with the smiths multi flame burner, however I ran out of gas in the jewellery workshop so I went into the shed and fired up the full blown oxy/acet kit the difference is chalk and cheese I now use this in the shed (because of the soot from acetylene) for all my melting