Thread: A question from Frank on emerald settings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A question from Frank on emerald settings

Hi all,
    A nice chap called Frank is having trouble posting on here, so I'm posting this on his behalf. I have been up most of the night with a very poorly and delirious boy who spent his 8th birthday in bed ill, so am running on low brain cells and am required on almost constant cuddle duty today! Over to Frank!
    I Want to set is an emerald faceted amethyst, approx sixe 18x15mm approx 8mm table to culip. Any advice would be great

Hope the young fella recovers soon. Below is my post for Frank. Kind regards, Dennis.

Dear Frank,
    An emerald cut stone is quite difficult to mount, so you must expect to practice with thin copper (about 0.4mm) and have three or four tries before you get anywhere near.

There are as many ways to do this as there are people to try it, but my own way is to make a rub over setting and to start with a curved strip.
    The advantage is that you will have a tapered collet which is not size specific and does not require a separate bearer for the stone, provided that you can hold it level while setting.

As there are three different lengths to mark out it helps to have three dividers. If you have access to the relevant collet plate and punch, you will also be able to tweak the result at the end.

Method:
    On a large piece of paper, using a compass opened by about ten centimetres, draw two arcs say 8.0 mm apart and a bit longer than the strip needed. Then draw a line from the start to the centre and prick off the various lengths of the stone using the compasses along the outer arc.

Draw lines from your marks to the compass centre and you will have a template to cut out and paste onto your metal with a Glue stick.
    Transfer your drawing to the metal by cutting through the paper with a sharp blade, score with a saw and triangular files and bend up and solder the loose ends. It is best to have your soldered joint along one side and not at a corner.

Once adjusted for height, you can either rub over the whole edge, or file out scallops and rub over the ‘claws’ that remain. Dennis.

Feeling your pain Lydia,it's times like these that make me worship the twin gods of calprofen and calpol..hope he feels better soon and that you both get some sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    worship the twin gods of calprofen and calpol..
    Haha, that did make me chuckle Helen =D Hope your wee one gets better soon Lydia <3
    Sian Williamson