Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s Rude To Stare.

Default It’s Rude To Stare.

It’s rude to stare, so when I saw this ring on a bus one morning, I made sure there was no eye contact with the wearer. After all, it’s a bit lame if asked ‘What you lookin’ at mate?’, to reply ‘I want to make a ring just like yours.’

What’s more it was across the aisle and too far way to take in the construction, other than it had a basket shape and small turquoise marquise stones in a vertical row.

After a few experiments in copper, I found a way forward was to lightly roll some round wires to create flats, put four together and clamp them at the centre in a vice, using a piece of wood. The ends could then be twisted to create a shank. The remaining flat centre would become the basket.

Once made into a ring the flat strands were easily separated and took up the required form, without any need for further shaping. The degree of separation was used to fine tune the sizing.

In order to support the bezels and make a base for the stones I then added a vertical strand. All the wires were notched so that the effect would be flush.

Wires used, 4x round 1.2mm, slightly flattened. Clamped area, 21mm.
    Size of ring, S. This became size O when the strands were separated.
    Turquoise marquise stones, 7.0 x 3.6mm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Br1Restricting the Twist.jpg   Br2 Copper Test Pieces.jpg   Br3 Basket Ring Front.jpg   Br4 Basket ring Side.jpg  

Lovely as ever Dennis

Brilliant design Dennis. You are sooo clever

That's a lovely ring Dennis, not surprised it caught your eye.

Mmmm I like that - and in turquoise too!

Thank you all for looking and your kind comments. I was rather hoping that some of you would try making this kind of ring, as it is easy and a lot of fun. Dennis.

Count me in I would love to make one like that, but I am moving house next month and have packed most of my tools away, just kept a few out. I wonder if I could make it with the tools I have got, but my Foredom is packed but I have some hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you all for looking and your kind comments. I was rather hoping that some of you would try making this kind of ring, as it is easy and a lot of fun. Dennis.
    I don't even think I could get a nice looking solder join at the back with all the twisted wires, let alone attempt to set marquise stones. My finger is size J - so I'd need to think about scaling it down too. Easy isn't the word that springs to mind .. but I may give it a go with round stones. Perhaps.