Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little time off...

Default A little time off...

...off to Sri Lanka in a couple of days - four weeks of sunshine, warm seas, train journeys, tea, Buddhism. It'll be tough being away from torch and tools, but I expect I'll cope - was hoping to sneak an early entry into the monthly competition, but might not manage it in time. I'll have computer and at least occasional internet access, so will try to keep an eye on you all - and maybe send a photo or two so you can share in my suffering. I hope at least you have a rain-free January...
    All the best,
    Alan

have a fantastic time! I'm more than happy to have my bags packed ready in case you need an assistant/food tester/meditation partner ;-)

Have a great trip - I've spent quite a bit of time there over the years and love the island and its people.

You can get some great deals on gemstones too...

Have a good time, Alan. Kind regards, Dennis.
    Oh and don't forget to turn off your pickle pot.

Have a great trip. Seems like an up and coming destination.

I trust you have a veritable spending money (stone) budget

Oooh, Alan......have a wonderful time. Envious, me......of course not!!

Thanks all - starting on the first leg, to my sister in Warwick, in a few hours - though haven't actually got packed and organised yet - flying on Monday. No worries about the pickle pot, Dennis - the older I get the more OCD I become, so I check everything that needs checking over and over again. Gemstones... hmm... I haven't much of a clue, but I'll be keeping my eyes open for a nice raw blue sapphire perhaps - and will probably regret not knowing more or being able to spend more...
    Alan

Arrived home last night after 40+ hours non-stop from Nilaveli near Trincomalee - tuk-tuk, buses, planes, more buses and car... a bit dazed on arrival but very happy to be back and looking forward to getting back to work. A few pics: wild (and semi-domestic) life; huge granite-carved figures near Polonnaruwa at Gal Vihara, 12th century, some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen anywhere (had both of us in tears); detail of a large white Buddha figure at Mihintale; and, specially for Pat, the Honda 250 4 we rented for a couple of days near Kandy - fast and uncomfortable, like riding an angry mosquito, a bit hair-raising in the chaotic Sri Lankan traffic, but quite an experience. I got a few gems (cabs not faceted, rubies/pink sapphires, one blue sapphire, one milky white star sapphire, a nice labradorite and some tiger's eye) - more on those to follow some time...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1270237.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	8644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1270338.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	8645 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1270415.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	8646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1270547.jpg 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	8647 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1270641.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	8648

Alan

Welcome back Alan. Look forward to more. Dennis.

Welcome back Alan. Sounds like you had a fab holiday and especially like the last photo - it looks really serene and spiritual. Also looking forward to seeing some of your purchased stones in your makes...
    Jules