Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Favourite thing ...

Default My Favourite thing ...

Is filing, I find it very therapeutic, drilling not so keen on since I got it stuck in a pendant, accidently turned it on full power and nearly sliced up everything around me and sent my heart pacing! (I’m considering getting a flexi shaft for my Dremel).

Sawing or piercing I’m not very good at yet so tend to avoid.

Soldering very satisfying when it goes right first time but leads to the filing so quite enjoy that.

Bezel setting easy if using a bezel cup but not challenging enough and intend to get better at making my own.

Happiest experience is making a very simple pendant out of my scrap pot having nothing else to work with and someone remembering it a year later and wanting one just like it.

Reticulating is my 'zen' thing - or if I am in the right frane of mind chain making. The feeling when something comes out just right is lovely though! :-)

Not so helpful perhaps, but what I like is variety and a particular flavour of variety is development.

At the minute, grinding rocks is pretty satisfying, but my desire to put facets on many of my hand-held mini-cabs hints at a possible future direction for development.

Piercing is my favourite thing. I could pierce all day, I love it that much.

Filing I CAN find quite therapeutic too. Infact, on Friday I was too ill to be at my bench so snuggled under a quilt on the sofa,watching Netflix, and sat with my apron over my lap filing away while watching Bates Motel!

At other times, I can't stand filing. I guess it all depends on what I need to file. A recent piece was a pain in the backside, so didn't enjoy that much

Interesting thread!

I think my favourite thing is casting, and seeing how far I can take things via cuttlefish & delft clay seeing as I dont have the setup for lost-wax casting right now.

For instance I cast in cuttlefish if I want the texture, but also cast tricky pieces in cuttlefish that end up with a perfectly smooth surface finish.

Right now ( this past week or so ) I'm casting bezels for trillion, pear, oval, and square stones instead of forming them by hand in the traditional way using both CF and DC and they're working out great! Bit heavier than forming them the usual way but its gives the setting a very strong structure and I'm able to set the stones really well using my hammer handpiece. The hammer handpiece was too strong to use on bezel strip formed settings beforehand really.

Filing.. also a favourite although its something that you can always improve on I find!

Nick

So my fallback all time favourite thing is piercing,.....but then I have flirtations with many other things.....I love being inspired by something (an idea, something I've seen, a gemstone, etc) and creating in my head, then working through the stages of creating and constructing a piece in my head, on paper and then actually doing it.

I really enjoy creating detail with the saw, texture (burrs), shaping with the file.

I enjoy intricate soldering when it works!!

I'm not a fan of bashing.....polishing is a necessary evil (though generally I feel pleased when it's done)!!

My favourite is piercing as well. A lovely complicated shape + Netflix is my idea of heaven.

I am starting to enjoy wax carving as well, although I am still very much a beginner at it!

Piercing is my favourite also, I can quite happily sit for hours piercing and in my time I have pierced some truly incredible designs, like the lampshades of these plique a-jour enamelled table lamps designed by Edward D.Evans.
    The photos show the finished 16 inch tall lamps, one of the shades and my copper patterns that I made for marking out the design pre piercing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 Gazebo lamps off and on.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	8762 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12c Shade and piercing patterns.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	8763

James

Those are incredible James!

Would love to see the cast bezels Nick when you get a chance.

I don't know what my favourite thing is really, anything when its going well probably!
    I do like filing/ sanding though as it doesn't require any brain effort so I find it rather cathartic.

Truly beyond my comprehension that a human can do that! To say I'm awestruck is an understatement.