Thread: Advice on how to make these beautiful earrings :)

Default Advice on how to make these beautiful earrings :)

Hello all,

My friend’s birthday is coming up and for ages she has had an obsession with these tourmaline earrings. I was in the process of ordering a pair, when it occurred to me that I could attempt to make it myself.. it looks simple enough.. well so I hope. Can someone tell me how I would go about soldering the joints? Do I create the bezel then force the stone through and somehow push the bezel around the crystal as you would when setting a stone or do you solder while the crystal is in place? I intend on using silver for this project.

As always any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Sofina
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BLTN_Quartz_Long_3_2048x2048.jpg   BLTN_Tourmaline_3_2048x2048.jpg  

I suspect you'd find they are just glued in place.

Yup, reasonable fit of metal and glue to keep stone in place

A similar question cropped up quite recently here. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7754

When glueing a band onto a crystal, there is every chance of a messy result, so I would confine my glue to a hole and a pin. In this case using a glued in ear post going a few mm into the crystal. Dennis.

Personal taste I know, but I hate those kind of settings where the bezel / strap / call it what you like is glued. Looks pretty enough I suppose, but its a bit of a botch job I think.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Personal taste I know, but I hate those kind of settings where the bezel / strap / call it what you like is glued. Looks pretty enough I suppose, but its a bit of a botch job I think.

Nick
    Hehe, glad to see I'm not the only one. It would feel very naughty using glue, I'd be interested to see if someone can make something similar without using it. A new show & tell thread maybe? =D
    Sian Williamson

I don't see the point of the setting either, it covers a large part of the stone rather than enhancing it in any way.
    However if thats what carters friend likes then thats what she likes

This could be done using skills rather then cements.

With regard to using glue, I feel like I'm chewing a brick when I read this thread. I might just have to spit it out... my advice:

Don't

There ... said it.

with crystals or uncut stones, I usually use that toothed gallery strip to make a cap. Still not a beautiful solution, but holds it. For earrings, hmm those earrings look weeny...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thh.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	8751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toothed.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	8752