Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 'matting' finish wheels?

Default New 'matting' finish wheels?

In the new catalogue there are 'Matting Finishing Abrasive Wheels'.

I know getting a good matt finish is something that comes up quite regularly.

So has anyone used anything like these?http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-970-503

Deciding whether to give them a try. Currently use scotchbrite

Ooooh they look new and exciting, I haven't tried them yet. I do use the frosting wheels (with the little pins that spin round), theyre really good, and the sponge sanding pads that are really for metal clay, but I use them on normal sterling and like the nice soft finish they give.

They're a hybrid of flap wheels and Scotchbrite mops. They obviously will work fine if you have a clear run with no obstruction.

The advantage of frosting wheels is that applied lightly, they can be used in conjunction with masking tape, for instance to leave shiny borders.
    They are great for the backs of things, which sometimes end up looking a mess. Applied vigorously, they will remove most defects and give a respectable finish.

Of course all rough and matte finishes on silver and low carat gold will tarnish more quickly than shiny ones. Dennis

They are a hybrid Dennis, But..but..but..but.. they're something new to play with

I've been trying to remember what a lovely lady told me at a craft fair at Waddeson Manor last Christmas about how to get a matt finish on silver. I know she mentioned something about wire wool and I did buy some but ended up using it to clean up the turkey roasting tin so those abrasive wheels are on my list for next months new tool !

I used a plain wheel like that (without the flangey bits) and it gave a matte-ish finish, but didn't get into the nooks and crannies. Be interested to see how these fair. I like the flick mops, but did have to remove one of the legs from my cheek last week (luckily I am Very Brave and always wear m'safety goggles.

That sounds horrific Lydia, how on earth did you manage that? =S
    Sian Williamson

It was on a piece with lots of raised areas and it caught one at an angle. Ohhh and I *am* a massive klutz.

Yikes! Think I'll wear my welders mask if the time comes for me to use one of those wheels, lol =S
    Sian Williamson