Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do we feel about Chinese made electrical tools?

Default How do we feel about Chinese made electrical tools?

One of my resolutions for this year was to get better at wax carving. Finally upgraded my two random and rusty dental tools to a set of proper wax carving ones, but I'd also really like a wax melty pen type thing.

I've seen the little battery powered ones, but they don't offer any temperature control. What I'd really like is one of the Foredom wax carvers, but (a) they are expensive and (b) the only place that sells them in the UK is Cousins.

So, I saw this little one on Ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3217789702...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT which looks just what I'm after. Has anyone tried one of these? Are Chinese manufactured electrical goods safe? Am I over-thinking this and worrying too much?

Help!

I have one of these from Suttons:
    http://www.suttontools.co.uk/wax-carver.html
    Works fine for me although tbh I barely use it as I only find it useful for removing large quantities of wax when I don't often have to do.
    Mostly I use one single wax hand tool out of the whole set ( the rest are unused in the cupboard) and 2 needle files in medium and fine grades for all my work.
    Maybe Im odd though….

I also bought an electric wax carver like Sarah's one, which didn't get used much, I prefer my old stainless steel dental tools and a little spirit lamp for heating them when wax modelling. Just for info I get my modelling wax and tools from here;http://www.tiranti.co.uk/

James

I would save up for the Fordom one they are really nice to use I tried cheaper one and they don't seem to have the control either to hot or to cold

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    So, I saw this little one on Ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3217789702...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT which looks just what I'm after. Has anyone tried one of these? Are Chinese manufactured electrical goods safe? Am I over-thinking this and worrying too much?

Help!
    I buy Chinese electrical household goods all the time, as I suspect many others do. I wouldn't necessarily avoid buying them specifically for jewelry work, though pre-sale safety checks on electrical goods sold direct from China to the individual consumer aren't likely to be as rigorous as checks on goods sold under a recognised brand such as Foredom or Draper, for example. The Chinese manufacturer in most cases has no reputation to lose.

I wouldn't touch the one you've linked to there; though the seller gives a UK address the return policy stipulates that if a product is faulty on arrival you have to return it to an address in China for your refund. It's effectively a kind of lucky dip with all sales being final.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I would save up for the Fordom one they are really nice to use I tried cheaper one and they don't seem to have the control either to hot or to cold
    It's important to be aware of the difference between Fordom and Foredom:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ghlight=fordom

I don't know about the wax carvers but the Chinese produce Fordom flex shaft kits they are a copy even down to supplying false warrenty papers and
    they are complete rubbish

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20160227_192657.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	8735
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0375.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	8736

Sorry I spelt it incorrectly but thanks for the heads up this is mine I find it great to use

Ages ago I purchased a Saeshin quite cheaply from a chinese seller on eBay. I suspect it is a copy (if it is it's a very good one!) I use it every single day & no problems what so ever so far =) Truth is, most things are made in china anyways, it's just a matter of keeping your fingers crossed you don't find a bad seller
    Sian Williamson

Also just a side note, and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh - but never return an item to a chinese address if the item does turn out to be faulty. They will always say they never received it =(
    Sian Williamson