Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do we feel about Chinese made electrical tools?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    At the moment I am still working for a law firm 4 days a week, so I am just reinvesting earnings from my jewellery in buying new tools (rather than paying extra tax on it), so that when I no longer have a 'proper' job I'll already have all the tools I'll ever need. And a PUK welder...

I am trying to buy the best I can afford, but was vaguely hoping that for something I might not use loads, like the wax pen, I could get away with a cheapo version!
    Have you tried using stainless modelling tools and a spirit lamp? like these;http://www.tiranti.co.uk/EdgeImpactS...delling+Tools+ when I used to visit trade jewellery workshops, they always used these types of wax modelling tools along with cutting tools like scopers and scrapers, when they made the casting patterns. I must admit I didn't make many jewellery wax models as I was making larger stuff. This was the last wax model I made for an antique restoration job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JM stag waxes 6.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	8748

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Have you tried using stainless modelling tools and a spirit lamp? like these;http://www.tiranti.co.uk/EdgeImpactS...delling+Tools+ when I used to visit trade jewellery workshops, they always used these types of wax modelling tools along with cutting tools like scopers and scrapers, when they made the casting patterns. I must admit I didn't make many jewellery wax models as I was making larger stuff. This was the last wax model I made for an antique restoration job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JM stag waxes 6.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	8748

James
    I've tried the spirit lamp and dental tool, but didn't find it quite hot enough to join two pieces together. I may just be doing it wrong though! My new years resolution was to get better at wax carving - I need a lot more practice.

One of my professional modeller friends uses Super Sculpey to model items, it's a modelling clay that can be baked in a standard oven to harden. When he has finished modelling his pieces the caster makes a rubber mold to create the waxes for casting.
    See;https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...n7A4cQ_AUIBigB
    Super Sculpey is quite cheap to buy, circa £10 on Amazon.
    I use Scopas wax for modelling and Ferris file a wax for rings. I bought some Super Sculpey which my daughter swiped for a project she is doing, so I never tried it.

James

Hi
    Not wax carving, but my chinese pearl drill has worked perfectly for many years now. I don't know whether the tools you want are made by them but a company called Boking Industries made the pearl drill and they have a range of jewellery tools.
    If you are buying Chinese it is better to spend a little time tracking down the company direct- the mark-up put on some items by importers never fails to astonish me
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk