Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand engraving a shape in silver?

Default Hand engraving a shape in silver?

Hi, a customer wants a certain symbol on her silver cuff bracelet. It is a square inside a circle, the square is on its end like a diamond.
    Usually I stamp shapes in to the bracelets I make but can't get a stamp like this.

Any suggestions??

Hi,
    I would think etching would perhaps be the most simple answer to this, unless you're a dab hand at engraving, which I think is a skill that takes quite some time to master - but wiser folk than me will appear shortly with their answers.
    Good luck
    Sue

Etching would work and be relatively quick and easy to do, of if not how about getting someone to laser the symbol on?
    Jules

If it's not too small, it would also be simple to pierce with a saw and layer on, or use as it is.

Alternatively you could make a wire ring, or use a jump ring and insert the square. If small the square could be a slice of square wire or tube. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 24-02-2016 at 09:48 AM.

I'd be going with Dennis on this, but only because I have yet to etch a piece which didn't have some artefacts on it.

Or... if you're not after super-crisp edges, you could carve the symbol into a wax and cast it for a more organic look.

Nick

Could you not get some steel tube the right size and use that as a punch ? you dont say how big you need it ?

Hi, sorry for the delay. The bracelet is 6mm wide so I guess the shape would have to be 4mm max..

Ideally I wanted to stamp the symbol in to the bracelet... I would consider etching it if someone could advise me on a quick and easy way that doesn't involve buying a lot of materials? I've never etched before..

Just get some square and round steel tube of the appropriate dimensions and stamp it in.