Thread: Pointed Pliers mm

Default Pointed Pliers mm

Hi !

Another fab lesson today :-) I had a go with wire, I made "Jump Rings" !!!

I am not great with making the same sized "Jump Rings" So my ask is this - I vaguely remember seeing some long? Nose Pliers that had a ring cut into one or possibly both arms of the "Round" / pointed pliers ,it was in mm ranging from 1mm to 6mm, I could be wrong about the sizes...So does anyone know the proper name for these pliers and where can I buy any.

TTFN

You can wind the wire around a knitting needle then cut through the coil, they come in lots of different sizes. Use metal ones if you can. I think I have a pair of the pliers you are talking about and they are useless for making lots of jumprings, ok for one or two but if you need to make a quantity........

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-CB12

are these the ones you are talking about.

Pat is quite right. Pliers, are useless for making jump rings.

Anneal the wire, or use soft wire and wind it around something of a standard size. Then lean the coil against a bench peg and cut, removing the former bit by bit, so that it still supports the coil. Keep the surplus jump rings in a small parts box for the future.

To form the jumprings, many use knitting needles like Pat, or buy a jump ring maker, or like me use a large set of twist drills. Mine go in half sizes from 1.5-13.0mm and I wind the wire around the stems.

Be aware that wire springs back, so the rings will be a little larger than the formers. Dennis.