Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When a customers ring doesn't fit???

Default When a customers ring doesn't fit???

Hi!,
    I have just made a custom wide band ring for a customer, who paid in full....The ring was made according to her requirements and size (a size bigger than her regular ring size). Unfortunately the ring is too small for her...despite me resizing it a half size bigger a second time round. It can't be made any bigger. She is a lovely first time customer....and has opted to have a set of stacking rings made instead...sending me back the first ring. I have quoted her an extremely reduced price for the second ring which takes into account materials hallmarking and refund of a percentage of previous ring. However she has said that it is a bit more than what she was expecting. I feel bad for her because she absolutely loved the first ring. I'm wondering what is the usual acceptable course of action in cases like this? It's never happened before so I'm a bit lost!!! Any help greatly appreciated! !

I may be unusual but I have a full refund policy ( minus any materials ordered in specially) if the customer is not happy with the item.
    Thankfully Ive only had it used once so far out of a lot of sales so whilst its a pain if it does happen I prefer to operate that way.
    I just don't see the point of having an unhappy customer in these days of customer feedback being so important.
    Obviously if it was something that was happening a lot I would have to rethink but it works for me.
    As far as sizing goes I send a plastic ring sizer out when an order is placed and so far haven't had a single ring to resize since I started doing that- just check the gauge is inline with your ring mandrel.

That's probably a fair way of doing thing enigma, iv charged her for materials, and hallmarking and a little for extra work....It amounts to £48 for a set of three sterling silver stacking rings set with a moonstone and Garnet. I'm wondering should I offer it for free as she has returned the first ring which she paid for in full. It has never happened before so I'm a bit lost!! She is lovely, but has casually said it was a bit more than what she was expecting. I don't want anyone to feel like I'm ripping them off or anything!!!

Did you measure her finger or did she tell you the size ?

Its difficult isn't it.
    Is there no way to resize the original ring any further?
    In future though always send out a ring sizer that you know corresponds with your mandrel.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Did you measure her finger or did she tell you the size ?
    The customer told me her size and because it's a wide band I made it a size bigger. It's a spinning ring so I was only able to resize it up another half size after that. It still didn't fit second time round and it definitely can't be made any bigger.

What i would do is make another one the right size, you can always sell the smaller one. I made a silver pendant to a customers design for her daughters 18th, she wanted an "R" with a number "1" hammered finish at the bottom that the "R" is sitting on and the "8"with a hammered finish behind the "R", and wanted it big and black. The drawing she gave me was the size she wanted and I told her that if her daughter was small it would be too big on a small frame. Of course she didnt take any notice so I made it and delivered it to her and she hated it, one it was too black and another too big. So I made another smaller one, and delivered it too her, then she decided she didnt want it black at all, so once again I took it home and got all the black off, delivered it to her and she loved it and apparently so did her daughter. I know I dont have to make a living from making jewellery so my time isnt important, but I know if she wants anything else she will come to me.

Ideally the ring size is taken with a sizer of the same width as the proposed ring. In case of uncertainty it is better to send a plain copper or brass ring to confirm the size, rather than try to remedy a mistake later.

Here is a tool that helps too, but I would not trust it entirely unless I were there to witness the sizing procedure. Note that english sizes must be entered in upper case letters. http://mordent.com/toolsapps/ Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    What i would do is make another one the right size, you can always sell the smaller one.
    I like that solution.
    Doesn't matter who's fault so long as your customer gets what they wanted in the end.
    Dennis had a good solution of making a cheap mockup sample.

It's a bit of a pain if you have a distant customer but..they are going to be advertising you to their circle of friends so best please them & take note of problems for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I like that solution.
    Doesn't matter who's fault so long as your customer gets what they wanted in the end.
    Dennis had a good solution of making a cheap mockup sample.

It's a bit of a pain if you have a distant customer but..they are going to be advertising you to their circle of friends so best please them & take note of problems for next time.
    Thanks everyone, that is all very helpful advise!! I'm going to make a bigger ring (she has gone with a different style now as she says that wide bands have never fitted her anyway!!), and just get her to cover material costs and postage.