Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Signature style...?

Default Signature style...?

I was wondering how many of us have a signature style with the work we produce...I am still at the magpie stage where I will have a go at producing anything I see, working out and researching how to do it. The end result is usually very different from the original inspiration but it helps to learn new skills etc. So I suppose my question is more aimed at the more established folk on here...do you consider that you have a 'signature style', if you do, how long did it take to develop it? How important do you think it is? (Sweeps back the curtain and gestures to the rostrum...the stage is yours...).

I am now retired, but I don't think I had a signature style, working for over 50 years within the trade as a goldsmith, I was expected to be able to create many different styles, mostly designed by others, most items were either commissioned by or sold on to well known London shops, who then sold the items to customers from their shops, as their own unique creations.

James

I wonder if the "magpie stage" is a actually a stage or more of a personality trait. I call myself a butterfly perfectionist - working away at something just long enough to get it right, then moving on... which means I never really stick at anything long enough to develop a signature style (and, which frustrates my partner, never really capitalising on all the R & D I've put in). I suppose the closest I've got to a specific signature piece is with glass: borosilicate glass "dragon eggs" are a bit of a speciality of mine - nothing original about making an egg shape, but with some techniques for creating certain colours and effects that I've developed myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggs1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	8727 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggs2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	8725 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggs3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	8726

Alan

Although very much an amateur still with vast amounts to learn, I think Ive got my own style. A little bit gothic as I'm inspired by historical / ancient jewellery, and I also like elegant simple designs.

Nick

I think that within two or three years we all begin to develop a signature style, Influenced by our background and it never quite leaves us.

Others will recognise it by the degree of finish, or deliberate lack of finish, additions of typical detail, plainness or fussiness.

Mine will always be influenced by my first teacher, Barbara Christie, now long gone. I always show it to her in my mind and hear her say on occasion 'no I don't like that at all'.
    Dennis.

OMG Dennis! Barbara Christie was your first teacher - Wow, I love her jewellery and was gutted that I was unable to get along to the 'light seeping through windows' retrospective in I think it was 2013. Lucky you to have been taught by her.

I think I am slowly getting to it, now after 6 years.

I agree with Dennis, I think everybody has a certain style that is their own when it comes to handmade items even if their range is rather eclectic.

I suppose I have a certain style in that I have ranges which I have made for years and people say they can identify my work, though God knows how as it's all a bit random.

Over the last years of my career I think my signature style became floral pieces as nearly everything I made was decorated with flowers. One of my most successful ranges was based on an old idea of flower specimens in rock crystal vases. I did some restoration work on a few Faberge pieces and asked my customer if there may be a market for new pieces of this style. I made a few small flowers and they sold quickly, so I continued making a few each year. There are now over 30 of my flowers in private collections around the world.

James