Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Signature style...?

I always admire jewellers that have an instantly recognisable signature style. Mine is all a bit random, as I just get an idea and want to make something, whether it fits in with anything else I've made or not!

Hhhmmm,this made me think......yes i definitely have themes and preferred techniques.......would someone else recognise my style and identify something as my work??.......I doubt it!!

Interestingly enough, I'm in the throws of a new collection now,......it's on a bit of a tangent from previous work, but I see a common theme and style I guess!!

Oh I didn't mean that people have collections all along the same themes, I think you can have an eclectic range but still have a unique style.

Everyone's work will have It's own "fingerprint" which maybe noticeable if the same job was performed by 10 different artisans & compared.
    Highly unlikely to be noticed otherwise, unless you make really unique things or are famous...

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Oh I didn't mean that people have collections all along the same themes, I think you can have an eclectic range but still have a unique style.
    I wasn't offended Sarah, it just made me think about my work!!

I also think Chris' comment is interesting and quite correct, the "fingerprint" of a maker on a particular job, compared to other makers would most likely be identifiable!!

Phew!

I actually thought it was the 'fingerprint' we were talking about.

I don’t have a signature style as only being a hobbyist I’m still learning new skills and can only aspire to achieve something like the jewellers on here do and probably never will. However, it doesn’t stop me from one day wanting to produce something I can truly be proud of.

There are so many different styles of jewellery I love so find it difficult as this time to decide where my addiction will lead me.

That's pretty much where I am...it's more the techniques and skills I get distracted by, and trying them out...
    Thanks for the replies guys!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I did see a post, not that long ago on a FB page. One person was accused of copying someone else's work. It transpired that the student had learned from the master well and work being produced looked similar to the untrained eye!

I believe I have a generalised style too - probably comes after 9 years of hobby and 2.5 years of doing this as my business.

Me too. I call it serendipity!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I always admire jewellers that have an instantly recognisable signature style. Mine is all a bit random, as I just get an idea and want to make something, whether it fits in with anything else I've made or not!