Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soldering a heavy sterling silver ring

Yes Edhelien, this is the liquid flux which I said I had tried.

Yes, Enigma, it's highly individual. It depends a lot on a width and shape, 2mm x 4mm would be ok, I have wedding band 4mm half round and like it. But I make ring which is 8mm wide and 1.5mm thick and it is uncomfortable for both me (L 1/2) and my husband (P 1/2), I have thin fingers with almost no gaps between them. It can be very different with bigger hands/fingers/knuckles. I think we all project our personal preferences into our work

Im the same Anna and thats why I designed a thinner horsehair ring than anybody else does- the market standard is way too uncomfortable for me.
    But I also know that many people are happy to wear really chunky rings that I couldn't cope with at all and as that gives more room for different designs I make those too.
    I do point out to people the thickness/size though to be sure they are aware though as many womens rings are so slim .
    Love your 'gold chaos' designs BTW

Just to let you all know that after more failed attempts with new flux (Auflux and Borax) and differing solders using my sievert blow torch, I bought a blow torch which fits onto a butane can and it's like a mini flame thrower but it did the job. So it was the lack of heat which was the problem. However much learnt in the process so none of it was wasted apart from the frustration. The idea of soldering with the light off to see the colour of the metal was a very good tip. Thanks to all who sent advice and tips.

Ruth,

I'm wondering what nozzle you are using with the Sievert, is it the needleflame one? If so, you can get a larger one that should do the job fine. That way you don't need to have a different torch for jobs like this.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I use a mini flame thrower for thick big rings too, bit scary to start with especially if like me you are in a house with carpets, curtains etc.

The bigger nozzle on the Sievert should be fine, I use it for thick bangles up to 10mm by 3mm with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    The bigger nozzle on the Sievert should be fine, I use it for thick bangles up to 10mm by 3mm with no problems.
    Hi Ruth,
    I suspect the burner nozzle Sarah mentions may be the the 3939 http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...ch_Burner.html
    Its a really good general purpose burner and I still use mine in preference to oxy/propane for some jobs
    Hamiltons are usually best price.
    If you like tech specs, the jewellers pinpoint burner is only 0.25 Kilowatts (Kw) whereas the 3939 is 0.9Kw so it is capable of more than 3 times the heat output.
    if you ever have to anneal quite large pieces there is a 3941 which will punch out over 3Kw http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...ch_Burner.html and heat your work quickly which is useful for minimizing firestain.

Hope that helps
    Tim

PS - Just checked and Cookies also sell those burner nozzles ........and have free delivery at the moment £25+ I think
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    if you ever have to anneal quite large pieces there is a 3941 which will punch out over 3Kw http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...ch_Burner.html and heat your work quickly which is useful for minimizing firestain.
    IIRC my assortment (on that Sievert) is
    2943 (yes, really - sometimes I want to anneal some fairly large pieces or preheat cast iron for welding...)