Thread: cairngorm

Default cairngorm

Hi trying to find a genuine piece of cairngorm amberish colour 30mm x 15mm x 10mm rough for
    mounting to the top of a Skin Duhb

Yes I did post a request last year, I was just hoping something may come up, seems like a it is a impossible task I will have to substitute something else, is any one aware of any other uniquely Scottish stones I may be able to use.

The only uniquely Scottish stones I know of are probably from the Scottish agates link on that post, they had some nice stones if I remember.The only other option would be to look for an antique piece of jewellery online and reuse a stone which wouldn't be the size you want and would probably be a smoky Quartz. On our lapidary excursions when I was a student we only ever found agates, there are some spectacular ones but cairngorm is a touristy thing.
    Good luck
    Last edited by CJ57; 23-02-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions, however the quest has been solved, I was telling my friend Kym about it and he went out into his
    band practice room and produced a damaged Plaid Brooch with a large Cairngorm in the center that I can have re-cut,( I don't do Faceting ) so all has worked
    out well
    Last edited by china; 23-02-2016 at 02:00 PM.

this is weird! I made two Skin Dubh design tie pins earlier this year - the chap had picked up some bloodstone on a Scottish island which we got cut into cabs - looks from reading up that local supplies of the cairngorm quartz is pretty much depleted and imported stock is being used.

You might want to read this Lydia from China's original post last year. Http://gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpB...pic.php?t=6514 . I haven't known of Cairngorm coming from the Cairngorms. All the info given in the post linked to above pretty well still stands. Many, many agates but you'd be looking at Victorian jewellery for a Cairngorm and most jewellery produced in Scotland for tourists nowadays uses amethyst or when I've looked at the kilt companies today you can have a stone colour to match your kilt, even red, blue or green nae taste!

This is quite a good article and quite definitive I would think in its information on all stones Scottish http://www.curriehj.freeserve.co.uk/grampian.htm

quite a informative article