Thread: 951 silver

Default 951 silver

Hi,

Can someone enlighten me regarding 951 silver, I have a inherited bracelet stamped 951 and a logo that I don't recognize with stones I think are
    just cut glass, it has been sitting around for years and shows no sign of tarnish.

Are you sure it's silver? The closest silver standard mark is 958 (Britannia Silver), but Palladium is 950, looks like silver and is tarnish resistant? Could also be a kind of platinum if you've been really lucky .
    Maybe the Assay office could shed some more light. x

Edit: Try looking up something called "Gorham Sterling Silver 951". That might be it? http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28440
    Good luck identifying it. x
    Last edited by Lucie; 18-02-2016 at 05:36 PM.

If the stones are artificial, the hallmark could be a false clue. Any old silver would be tarnished by now. Dennis.

Thanks, I will need to do some more research, the stones also appear to be foiled, I might have ago at posting a pic of the logo on the off chance someone may identify it

If the stones are foiled that usually means costume jewellery which was more usually plated or made of pinchbeck. A pic of the mark would be useful though.
    Last edited by CJ57; 19-02-2016 at 02:32 PM.