Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please dont scream, but

Thanks so much to all of you for all of your comments, it's been really interesting to read through what you have said. When I am ready/able to buy a torch, I think the EZ torch is probably the one for me, with the small butane/propane disposable canisters - as I will probably feel the safest/most comfortable with them, and when the time comes I'll definitely give suttons a call.

Now that I have the gosystem torch, which I think is meant as a plumbers torch really, I cant say I'm that comfortable with it, as the nozzle gets really hot and its right on top of the gas canister :/ So the EZ torch would be a relief to have as there's a hose between the heat and the canister.

Can I ask you shinylauren what made you choose the MAPP bottles over the butane/propane, is it just personal preference or are there advantages?

I'd love to have a go at cuttlefish casting, and if I like it, then maybe progress to delft clay casting too, so I'm thinking an EZ torch could melt the silver for this, as well as being good for bigger pieces when you need to get the whole of it to the same temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Thanks so much to all of you for all of your comments, it's been really interesting to read through what you have said. When I am ready/able to buy a torch, I think the EZ torch is probably the one for me, with the small butane/propane disposable canisters - as I will probably feel the safest/most comfortable with them, and when the time comes I'll definitely give suttons a call.

Now that I have the gosystem torch, which I think is meant as a plumbers torch really, I cant say I'm that comfortable with it, as the nozzle gets really hot and its right on top of the gas canister :/ So the EZ torch would be a relief to have as there's a hose between the heat and the canister.

Can I ask you shinylauren what made you choose the MAPP bottles over the butane/propane, is it just personal preference or are there advantages?

I'd love to have a go at cuttlefish casting, and if I like it, then maybe progress to delft clay casting too, so I'm thinking an EZ torch could melt the silver for this, as well as being good for bigger pieces when you need to get the whole of it to the same temperature.
    Hiya,

I think I read somewhere (probably on this forum!) that MAPP gas burns cleaner than propane.

Oh, ok thanks for demystifying for me.

The main advantage with MAPP ( Methylacetylene Propadiene Propane )gas is it produces a higher temperature flame approx. 10%

I too have the same dilemma. I love my little butane torches which have worked fine for me so far, but now I want to melt and cast and the hundreds of options confuse me.

Can anyone advise on a one torch for all, cost effective set up? A good all rounder capable of melting as well as soldering jump rings yo fine chain?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Smiths little torch, make sure it is genuine, won't mention any names but there is one seller who has them on special at the moment