Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tube setting.

It's vin ordinaire to the initiated Sara.

Yes a plonk is a very precise and dainty procedure requiring the utmost skill.

Hey guys, quick question regarding the ring in the link.
    It says it's a rub over setting, now I'm just looking for guidance.
    My burr doesn't look like it will fit between the bars to cut a seat, Also the bars look like they have indents in the sides, to use this setting do I just pop the stone in and apply pressure the tops of the bars to lock the stone in place or am I way of the mark?

Bar setting was discussed not that long ago, should be easy enough to find that thread.
    A well made ring will require gently pushing a bar back to "pop in" a stone before straightening back the bar...then repeat along the ring.
    Unfortunately these days they aren't designed terribly well & can require abit of faffing about.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 13-02-2016 at 11:22 AM.

This week I have had 'fun' tube setting emeralds with the most unbelievably different ranges of bottoms. I'm afraid the air will still be blue in the workshop when I return tomorrow :-/ Oh for a 'plonk'!

I bought the tools that James suggested a couple of years ago and I have used them about three times. Watched the youtube video too and just dont seem to be able to get a good finish with them. End up doing it with a pusher and a final lick with a burnisher.