Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Todays effort, i have found square stones are hard to set.

Well I tend to only use hard solder but have medium and easy to hand so I'm sure I could pull it off.
    I think if I where to file a small semi circle into the gallery next to each prong I could set the new prongs a little closer in to get a really snug fit.
    I have a cunning plan!

ok so I ended up cutting the previous setting off and starting again, a couple of issues I came up with where -
    - the stone didn't like being gripped by the corners
    - the way I had attached the setting to the shank was not very strong ie it flexed under a bit of force.

I decided to redesign slightly to fix these problems. the stone would be gripped on the sides and I would anchor the shank in a stronger way, sadly the ring when mocked up look dreadful so I had a wiggle around, tried a few other things and in the end decided on this design. without blowing my own trumpet I think I nailed the sucker. after being quite disappointed with the previous effort not sitting in the mount straight this version has really made me happy.

Last edited by sam.k; 11-02-2016 at 08:31 PM.

It's beautiful! Your determination to improve and succeed is really inspiring - well done Sam.

Looks great well done

Great result ... the offset shank is in vogue, so I think you're onto a winner.

Some jobs are abit flimsy & you`ll need to pack them out with some setting cement, thermo-loc or something similar.
    You`ll also need some for holding pendants & earrings.

May I ask your opinion on the finished piece Chris? I find your input to be very constructive.

Make a pusher that fits the shape of the outside of the claw to help retain it`s shape.

Use a cup bur for round wire claws (or file ect)..notice the claw remains in a straight line & isn`t bent over the stone at an angle much?

Excuse the pic as it`s very old & non digital..but you should see that it looks better seeing just a round ball from above.

Hope that answers a few things.
    Well done for figuring out a design that worked, it`s just a case of refining your details now.

Top pictures are from diamond setting by Wooding...hope he doesn`t mind! It`s abit old fashioned nowadays but still helpful.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 12-02-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Woohoo pitchers! Cheers chris.