Thread: marking, hallmarking and 925

Default marking, hallmarking and 925

So I am starting to consider selling a few pieces that I feel are of worthy standard.
    I have A couple of questions.
    Nothing I've made that I intend to sell is over 7.78 grams so I technically don't need to hallmark (as I understand it) and this is good as currently I don't have the money to get set up with a mark, this will change in time but I just can't warrant it whilst I'm learning.
    Now to my question, what do I do about claiming its sterling silver? Should I buy one of those 925 stamps or is that dodgy in itself? Can I claim it's sterling and not have any marks at all?
    I thought it best to find out before I start flogging my wares.
    Regards
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    So I am starting to consider selling a few pieces that I feel are of worthy standard.
    I have A couple of questions.
    Nothing I've made that I intend to sell is over 7.78 grams so I technically don't need to hallmark (as I understand it) and this is good as currently I don't have the money to get set up with a mark, this will change in time but I just can't warrant it whilst I'm learning.
    Now to my question, what do I do about claiming its sterling silver? Should I buy one of those 925 stamps or is that dodgy in itself? Can I claim it's sterling and not have any marks at all?
    I thought it best to find out before I start flogging my wares.
    Regards
    Sam
    So long as it is Sterling Silver, then it Sterling, whether or not it is stamped. How you decide to stamp it is up to you (but recommend you don't use anything abover the legal purity grade!).

As you note, it should be Hallmarked above the threshold weight.

I think if its mixed metals I.e sterling silver with say, a copper ball on it, it has to be hallmarked if its over 1 gram regardless of which metal. Dave Merry will know.

No, if it's silver + copper then the 7.78g weight holds. Given I've done a moderate amount with copper & silver together I asked a while ago.

So am I ok stamping it 925 myself if it's under 7.78g or should I just leave it in marked?
    Eventually I will get myself registered with the assay office as I have a few ideas that are going to be over the threshold.

I found this in previous question from me and the answers are from Steve formerly of LAO.

ME:
    You can make for instance a copper bangle which weighs 100 grams, then add a silver ball say -- 1 gram and it has to be hallmarked, so the postal charges alone will be about £12, and the hallmarking on top of that, who would buy a copper bangle for around £30. I know I certainly wouldnt. So presumably if you made a silver earring with a copper flower that would also have to be hallmarked even if it was under the 7.78grams as its mixed metals.
    My understanding of hallmarking was that it was semi precious metals, i.e sterling silver, fine silver and gold, etc that needed to be sent for hallmarking.

Quick reply to this message
    Patstone - I'm not sure someone would want to make a 100g copper bangle and add 1g of silver to it, but if they did, and they wanted to describe it and sell it as silver and copper then they would need it hallmarked yes.
    (Most designers in this example would not use silver, but another silver coloured metal, or silver plate the ball, to obtain the same look.) When you think of the past, this was not possible to have hallmarked at all! I think designers have become far more aware and do bear in mind the current regulations when they come to designing things using precious metals. Of course regulations don't suit everyone, but the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to mixed metal marking, and far more items can now be sold as, and described as, having the precious metals they contain, which historically wasn't possible. Far from killing the jewellery trade, it has expanded the opportunities amongst designers, with more and more creating items with mixtures of metals, knowing that they can now be marked and sold with a hallmark. Just as crazy as your copper bangle was the situation with expensive swiss watches made of steel and gold, which historically must be sold as steel and "yellow metal". (Would you pay thousands for a watch described like that?) Now they can describe them as steel and 18ct gold, and the item can be hallmarked.
    Your understanding is correct...items of silver, gold, platinum and palladium need marking, even if they are mixed with other metals, and fall under the appropriate regulations if you wish to describe and sell the item as such.
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 16-06-2015 at 01:41 PM.

ME:
    We only use sterling silver unless specifically asked for gold. However we do use copper to embellish sometimes, I.e a copper wire around a ring. I think it will discourage people from making things over the 7.78 grms limit. I make only for a hobby but do sell at craft fairs and display your declaration sheet. Getting back to the copper bangle thing again, so that I understand fully, if I made a copper bangle with a sterling silver ball on it if the whole bangle weighed over 7.78 grms it would have to be hallmarked. Presumably if it was all copper it wouldn't.

Quick reply to this message Reply
    Your copper and silver bangle - if it weighs in total over 7.78g - would need to be hallmarked yes. If it's all copper then obviously no!
    Last edited by Patstone; 05-02-2016 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    So am I ok stamping it 925 myself if it's under 7.78g or should I just leave it in marked?
    Eventually I will get myself registered with the assay office as I have a few ideas that are going to be over the threshold.
    925 has a meaning within the trade, but would have no resonance with most members of the public, except that some (and some amateur jewellers), mistake it for a hallmark. They all have all met the term sterling silver though, so it would be a good idea to have sterling silver labels, or printed boxes, as well.

Dennis.