Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer handpiece – worth it?

Default Hammer handpiece – worth it?

Hello,

So, getting a bit fed up with the limits of my hand me down/free dremel and I am definitely feeling like its time for an upgrade….

Having read all the posts on here about flexshafts vs micromotors etc. I think I’ve decided to go for the foredom micromotor K1070 as it’s not much more than the foredom’s SR pendant motor and it seems that a lot of people end up upgrading to a micromotor anyway.

Now am in the upgrading frame of mind, I was thinking it would be good to get a hammer handpiece, but was horrified to find out the price of the hammer handpiee that goes with the micromotor is around £400, which is more than the micromotor itself costs! Whereas a hammer handpiece for a pendant drill is around the £90/£100 mark.

So… my questions are…

- How much do you use your hammer handpiece and what do you mainly use yours for? Would you consider it an essential piece of kit?

- Is the foredom microcomtor hammer handpeiece significantly better than the ones you can use with a pendant motor, hence the price?

Grateful as always for any words of wisdom, views, comments/suggestions!

Elizabeth

I use mine for setting some stones and some texturing Elizabeth. By 'some' I mean "not all". Is it essential? Not for me, but it certainly is helpful, it depends what you are doing.

(I have the pendant motor and hand piece, and it is a great bit of kit).

I have a pendant motor only so can't comment on the micro motor.
    I use my hammer hand piece for stone setting only but do find it invaluable for that especially when working with gold.

Thanks very much both, Maybe just going for the pendant motor would be a better idea than the micromotor?
    Would mean I could also get the hammer hand piece for that without completely breaking the bank!
    Enigma, sorry if this is a dumb question but why is it particularly good for working with gold?

I was given the K1070 for my Xmas and like you was horrified when I looked at the price the hammer hand piece is going to cost. It was one of the reasons I wanted the micromotor, which is said to be lighter to use than a pendant but guess I'll have to save up!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I was given the K1070 for my Xmas and like you was horrified when I looked at the price the hammer hand piece is going to cost. It was one of the reasons I wanted the micromotor, which is said to be lighter to use than a pendant but guess I'll have to save up!
    The cost is a shocker isn't it?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    The cost is a shocker isn't it?!!
    It did seem strange that the hand piece appears to be more expensive than the motor, I thought it was a misprint

I think what you are missing is that when you buy a micromotor, the hammer head hand piece also has a motor inside like the drill micromotor so you are buying a second motor, unlike a clip on hammerhead hand piece for a pendant drill, which uses the same motor for each hand piece. That's the reason that the hand pieces are cheaper on a pendant drill.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 03-02-2016 at 02:18 PM.

[QUOTE=Goldsmith;85604]I think what you are missing is that when you buy a micromotor, the hammer head hand piece also has a motor inside like the drill micromotor so you are buying a second motor, unlike a clip on hammerhead hand piece for a pendant drill, which uses the same motor for each hand piece. That's the reason that the hand pieces are cheaper on a pendant drill.

That is very true, but still don't understand why the hammer handpiece for the micromotor is over twice the price of the normal handpiece for the micromotor

[QUOTE=Elizabeth;85606]
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I think what you are missing is that when you buy a micromotor, the hammer head hand piece also has a motor inside like the drill micromotor so you are buying a second motor, unlike a clip on hammerhead hand piece for a pendant drill, which uses the same motor for each hand piece. That's the reason that the hand pieces are cheaper on a pendant drill.

That is very true, but still don't understand why the hammer handpiece for the micromotor is over twice the price of the normal handpiece for the micromotor
    There needs to be gearing inside the hammer head to change a rotary action into a hammer action, the normal hand piece will not have any gearing inside as it can rotate straight from the motor.
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 03-02-2016 at 03:53 PM.