Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tube setting.

Default tube setting.

Hey all, just looking to be straightened out a bit.
    I'm eying up some silver tube but just want to double check I have the right idea when using it.
    Lets say I want to set a 3mm stone.
    I would buy 3.5mm tube, using a 3mm bur cut the seat, plonk stone in and rub over?
    Is that about the gist of it? How high would you leave the rub over? Half a mil or so?
    Cheers all.

Yes Sam, that's about right. If you have the cash then you may want to invest in a set of collet closure tools, like these for £84;http://www.eurofindings.com/Product/...g-Set-18-Piece
    If you have a lot of setting to do, they make tube setting easier, quicker and neater.

James

Just as long as the hole in the tube is less than your stone size.

I will keep them in mind for the future, I'm just trying my hand at a few different methods currently. I have the tube coming, one of these http://www.cooksongold.com/Cast-Ring...prcode-FSK-059 to give it a poke and the stuff to make some bezels so I should be good for a little while.

the tube I believe has an ID of 2.6mm so if the 3mm stones go through that there is a bit of an issue somewhere

I think you will be OK for size, as everything turns out to be a fraction smaller than stated. However if you are setting a 3.0mm stone, 0.5mm to rub over is still a little too much.
    Dennis.

Yep, but .25mm will be ok

dennis don't I half that .5mm as its .25mm either side?

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    dennis don't I half that .5mm as its .25mm either side?
    Yes that's right, but I was talking about how high above the girdle the prepared rim should be prior to setting. When setting small stones they can become obscured by rubbing metal down over them.

A skilled operator could correct that by cutting the surplus away with a scorper/graver, but for me the best result is to have it the right height from the start (a quarter to a third of a mm only and filed to a knife edge).

I see! thank you dennis for your patience!