Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammer handpiece – worth it?

Micromotors are nicer to use for accuracy & drilling but pendant would be better for a lot of heavy duty work...get what suits your needs.

Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I was given the K1070 for my Xmas and like you was horrified when I looked at the price the hammer hand piece is going to cost. It was one of the reasons I wanted the micromotor, which is said to be lighter to use than a pendant but guess I'll have to save up!
    There is another way, Caroline. I too have the K1070 and wanted a hammer handpiece. Like you I balked at the £500 price tag. Then I saw someone using a Dremel engraver for turning in bezel edges and I decided to give it a go.

I've just set my first piece with it, which was a 20x15 mm cabochon bezel in sterling. The wall thickness was 0.5mm. On a medium setting the engraver made very quick and light work of the job. You have to remove the pointed carbide tip supplied and replace it with a piece of mild steel or preferably brass rod, but this is very easy to do.

The tool may not have the sophistication of a dedicated hammer handpiece, and it is quite loud, but the way it breezed through its first job and the way it left the lip of the bezel in a scarcely blemished state means it's probably going to be a very useful tool in my armoury. The best thing about it was that it cost me £17.95, which is less than a fiftieth of the price of the Foredom micromotor hammer handpiece.

Thanks Mark I'll keep that in mind! At the moment I'm enjoying whacking hell out of cuff on my recent Durston purchase, it's sometimes very therapeutic to hit something instead of someone and probably a much better idea and you have something beautiful to show for it at the end

Whats more beautiful than a black eye on someone you dont like.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Whats more beautiful than a black eye on someone you dont like.
    pain in the proverbial neighbours Pat that I'll probably have to live beside for a number of years but they haven't half been taking liberties for 14 months so hitting metal is the safest option!

Oh dear thats not good. Luckily we have Chinese students living in the house next to us, we live near Exeter Uni, there are 5 of them, mixed sex too, and very very quiet.