Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer handpiece – worth it?

[QUOTE=Goldsmith;85607]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

There needs to be gearing inside the hammer head to change a rotary action into a hammer action, the normal handpiece with not have any gearing inside as it can rotate straight from the motor.
    Thanks for explaining James, will still need to do a bit of saving though. Had I known that I might have gone for the pendant even if it wasn't so suited to my physical needs.

Yes, really helpful explanation James! Makes a bit more sense now.

I was thinking Caroline, an option is to get the LX and a hammer handpiece (I think the slow speed of the LX is supposed to work well with the hammer handpiece), which would actually be a bit less than the hammer handpiece for the micromotor and you would have a spare motor, though doesn't help with the weight issue.

Perhaps am over complicating this!

I have no idea:/ as this was a gift and I wish we had fully discussed it beforehand I don't want to make a fuss! It's still in the box anyway while I try and make room on my bench, yes I know it's wee but since joining a couple of forums quite a few years back I found I just had to buy tools that I'd been able to do without for about 30 years

Most people use the hammer handpiece quite rarely, so it is hardly a must-have. In the mean time you will never cease to marvel at your light and user friendly micromotor, Caroline.

If there is no bench room, consider sighting the control box on a shelf, under or over the bench and having only the handpiece with its rest on the bench itself. On the right if right

handed Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-02-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks Dennis, you are right, although I've become quite feeble it would seem so I might consider Elizabeth's suggestion of the LX and handpiece which is a couple of hundred cheaper. I have made room by putting a shelf up for the disccutter, doming block etc and all that paraphernalia which take up a lot of room. I'll fit the little devil in if it kills me!

I use mine a fair bit and it has earned its keep. It's significantly easier to use than the flex shaft version for much the same reason as the micromotor. However, I'm aware that there's another tool used by some US setters in particular - the Chicago Air Scribe

Needs a compressor to drive it too. Just in case you thought it wasn't expensive enough

[QUOTE=ps_bond;85628]I use mine a fair bit and it has earned its keep. It's significantly easier to use than the flex shaft version for much the same reason as the micromotor.

That's really interesting to hear Peter, may I ask what you mainly use yours for?

Stone setting for heavy bezels, primarily. Occasionally riveting, but very rarely. Anyway, I can laser rivets in place...

If you need some ideas as to what to use it for it doesn't sound like you *need* it yet?
    Hammer handpieces are basically a time saver & for the occasional nasty job...if you are doing your own made work you can avoid having to make things that require this tool.
    If you do fork out it'll be a good investment & the pain of paying goes in time.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 04-02-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    If you need some ideas as to what to use it for it doesn't sound like you *need* it yet?
    Hammer handpieces are basically a time saver & for the occasional nasty job...if you are doing your own made work you can avoid having to make things that require this tool.
    If you do fork out it'll be a good investment & the pain of paying goes in time.
    Totally agree I don't need it yet!

I guess I'm just trying to future proof the decision wheter to go for a pendant motor or a micromotor. Seems the cost between the two isn't that big, but the cost between the hammer handpieces is. But as I said before, am probably just overthinking the whole decision... should probably just get one or the other and get on with using it!