Thread: ok, will this work?

Default ok, will this work?

So here's the idea, a 5mm rose cut lapis surrounded with 8 3mm garnets in a halo.
    So the way I was thing of doing it was using 1mm sheet, drill 8 holes for the interior prongs and solder them in place, mark, drill and burr the 8 holes for the orbiting stones and then cut seats to solder the exterior prongs in place.
    I did consider trying bead setting but that would require a whole new set of tools and it looks a bit advanced for my skill level.

So here's the questions.
    Can I support more then one stone with a prong? If this is to work in the space I will have to work with then the stones will have to share prongs.

Will 3 prongs be enough to support the smaller stones? The plan with the 8 prongs in the middle was to have 4 to support the centre stone and 4 to hold the smaller gems. If there's any way I can use those prongs to support the centre stone and the 2 small stones next to them then that would be preferred.

Any advice would be great, there was an idea of flush setting the smaller stones but I think it would be a bit tight.

Ps excuse the terrible drawing.

If you look at Cooksons ready cast rings Sam, you will find plenty of prongs with more than one head. To realise your design you will be best to model it in CAD and then cast it.
    Alternatively you can modify the design to enable you to make it from wire and sheet, by reducing the number of stones and using smaller ones.

BTW, I don't think you will find faceted Lapis, so I suggest you browse AE WArd, 'The stone room', for alternatives. Iolite, Sapphire and London Topaz come to mind Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 28-03-2016 at 04:30 AM. Reason: choosing stones