Thread: Soldering charms onto a carrier bead

Default Soldering charms onto a carrier bead

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 charms on a carrier by impressions to Keep 16257.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	8615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand & footprint Personalised Jewellery - Charm on a Carrier  by Impressions to Keep.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	8616

I have attached a couple of photos so we have a starting point on what I want to solder!
    I need to solder the jump rings attaching the charm to the carrier closed, a couple of customers find they catch when worn on a bracelet too easily and fall off.
    However, when I have soldered the jump rings closed (using paste) this has weakened the joint on the bar of the charm carrier or the loop on the charm carrier, and these have come off!
    I have been using a 3rd hand to hold the jump ring, the carrier and charm are obviously hanging down....I have tried them dangling, resting on the firing block .....but I can't seem to get the solder to flowing point fast enough to avoid the whole piece heating up and weakening the other solder points.
    Really grateful for advice ....

thermal paste is your friend. paint it all around the bit you don't want to be heated, and make sure it is not on the ring you are soldering. I use a fine paintbrush. It easily rinses off once you've soldered. I use this one (other products are available disclaimer here ;-)

thank you!!!!! XXX

Of course there is absolutely no need to use hard solder in this case. Easy would be just fine. Dennis.

Those look like decently chunky jump rings, and if properly closed, they should never catch on anything. You need to work the two ends a little past eachother in both directions, and then should then close with a bit of a spring - the pressure created by closing the ring a bit more than is needed should ensure that there they are then nice and tight and there's no risk at all of them opening or catching.

Even with easy paste, the components you're attaching them to look a little bit fragile to take any real amount of heat.