Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: this one drove me to drink.

thank you chris, I will aim to do it that way from now on wherever I can.

Well diamonds do at least cut their own bearing to an extent, anything softer though I don't know how people get it to sit properly unless they cut out.
    I was taught to use a scorper but being lazy I generally go with a hart burr

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Without seeing it I'd say just gently squash the claws over a little more & be done.
    It's an obvious solution, but the infinitesimally small surface area where the girdle contacts the round profile of the prongs means the risk of cracking the stone is a lot higher than average. And the thing still won't be held very securely after I've done it. The stone isn't straight in its setting either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    It's an obvious solution, but the infinitesimally small surface area where the girdle contacts the round profile of the prongs means the risk of cracking the stone is a lot higher than average. And the thing still won't be held very securely after I've done it. The stone isn't straight in its setting either.
    Maybe not straight because it`s loose? you could use a small flat scorper & bring down a smallish amount of metal from the inside edge of the claw onto the stone.

All guesswork unless you can get a decent photo of it which might help abit...I`m picturing all kinds of things from your description.

Here's a close-up of one of the prongs showing the absence of a proper seat. The gap between the prong tips and the crown of the stone is another weak point.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poor seat on commercial ring.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	8613

Take it out file that lip back a little, cup burr it & cut a small bearing & push back up to stone.
    Claws are the right length so you don't need to worry about that.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 27-01-2016 at 02:12 PM.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a go when I'm feeling patient.

Wow, looks great! Good Job!

Well done! I agree there are some small optimizations that could be done, but overall I think you did a great job on a complicated design.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondfoster View Post
    Well done! I agree there are some small optimizations that could be done, but overall I think you did a great job on a complicated design.
    diamondfoster, I say this in the nicest possible way in case you don't merit the accusation, but are you a bot, or are you just imitating one?