Thread: Hi !!

Default Hi !!

Hi Everyone,

I am just starting to watch an old jeweller making all his fabulous bits ,I have asked him if he will teach me how to make rings and things...He told me to visit this page (I think he wants me to show him that I'm serious about learning!!!) As I will pick up some good tips...So one thing he did was to make a pendent for a round cut Sapphire, it was just fantastic watching him produce something that cool in such a short time.

The thing is, he told me that I'd pick it up over time, however, when I used the pointed round cone pliers to make a ring the ring was too big and the stone fell through !!! It was time for him to go home at that point, but I'll be going back on Friday to watch and join in some more.

So if I want to make the right size for a similar stone, what length of wire should I cut off...The Sapphire was 5mm across.

I know it won't impress him that I cut the right wire size but....the wire I was cutting was 1mm thick...it will hopefully show him that I am taking a real interest.

TTFN

Hi tessie and welcome to the forum. There are several answers to your question, depending on what the wire is meat for. but if you have callipers, the circumference of a stone is equal to the diameter multiplied by 3.14 (it's called pi).

Your calculator will tell you the rest. Dennis.