Thread: Statement Piece - Concerns Selling due to Safety...

Unhappy Statement Piece - Concerns Selling due to Safety...

It sounds like a really strange question.

I have created an abstract necklace, the piece consists of strands of silver put together to create shapes and is fitted across the neckline as a bib necklace but the chain allows it to move.

The concern I have is, While creating the design, it looked beautiful, but the original design had some strands of silver wire sticking out at the bottom, if you bent over forward, I would stab my chest or leave a scratch!

I then changed the design to ball the ends to ensure no stabbing incidents and looks just as beautiful, but if you bend over quickly, it will still stab you but thankfully not as painful or stabby as before but might leave a small mark.

I hate seeing this piece sitting with no where to go - I would love to sell this one day but I am scared, I was going to put a prewarning advising this is a statement piece and some caution but scared incase someone a bit clumsy might purchase it and could hurt themselves and get Me into trouble!

It's a really weird concern but a lot of my pieces are unusual and abstract and often have pieces of wire coming from all angles. this is why the design is so unusual, if I remove this, the design wouldn't be as interesting!
    If i ever want to sell any of my pieces, I would like to know if this might be an issue and if I need to rethink my designs.

I'm new to silversmithing and trying to find my interest in design and I thought I finally had something worthwhile!

I find it helpful to test drive my designs to see if they are wearable and comfortable to wear. I think you are answering your own question and if you don't find it comfortable to wear then maybe the design needs to be altered further or kept as a work in progress or a work that lessons were learnt from.
    There are however many abstract designs out there that look good on the catwalk but maybe are just for that purpose and not for usual wear. I suppose it depends what customer base you are looking to sell to but I would imagine having to put safety warnings on jewellery isn't normal, we do tend to bend over and move about!

Jewellery is for wearing. However much you love it, if it doesn't work trash it.

Oh, but before you do, let's all have a look. Dennis

Agree with Caroline and Dennis- wearability is as big a factor in jewellery design as looks so if it isn't comfortable to wear you need to rework the design.