Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pursuit of the matte finish

Default The pursuit of the matte finish

I've tried so many and the only one I really like is the one I make by hand using emery paper which honestly is super time consuming. I've tried scotchbrite and I can't get an even finish on flat and curved surfaces.

I saw someone mention using an abrasive solution with ceramic shot, has anyone done this(any pictures if you have)? Do you need a separate barrel?

I use a coarse stone-type wheel on my Foredom followed by a quick sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Harrison View Post
    I've tried so many and the only one I really like is the one I make by hand using emery paper which honestly is super time consuming. I've tried scotchbrite and I can't get an even finish on flat and curved surfaces.

I saw someone mention using an abrasive solution with ceramic shot, has anyone done this(any pictures if you have)? Do you need a separate barrel?
    Many years ago I had access to a sand blasting unit, so I was able to experiment with matte finishes on silver. The result was perfect, but quickly marred in use by the lightest touch or scratch. The only remedy then was to re treat it. It also tarnished much more quickly than expected

So now I favour a satin finish using a variety of tools, listed below, depending whether there is a clear run, or obstacles in the way:
    Soapy brass brush, Wet glass brush, Dry glass brush pencil, Decorators abrasive sponge block, White radial disk, Green Scotchbrite wheel, Abrasive rubber blocks, Sanding drums, Medium frosting wheel. Dennis.

I use the red scotchbrite wheel and it works fine for me? just as long as I make sure I apply it evenly and finish in the same direction.

For what its worth I love using the frosting wheels for pendant motors and now have all of them and think they were all really worth buying, and I also really like the sponge sanding pads that Caroline suggested (I think the product code is 999 ss01), they give a good subtle finish (thanks Caroline - as I'm a bit dim, it took me a while to find the pm!).
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    For what its worth I love using the frosting wheels for pendant motors and now have all of them and think they were all really worth buying, and I also really like the sponge sanding pads that Caroline suggested (I think the product code is 999 ss01), they give a good subtle finish (thanks Caroline - as I'm a bit dim, it took me a while to find the pm!).
    Sue
    I was going to suggest them again Sue! I've tried scotch brite mops on my bench polisher and they are a bit streaky and if you aren't careful they will take a strip out of your work if you press too hard. I have brass brushes for the polisher as well but find the finish a bit too shiny matt if you get what I mean. The sponges give a nice flat matt and depending on the grade or how worn the sponge is you can regulate the finish quite well

Has anyone tried the flick mops, they look a bit harsh to me. I use the rubber disc you put about 6 on the mandrel, they work quite well. You have to be careful about direction as well as you can see if you change direction.

I use my scratch brush unit fitted with a brass bristle brush for large item matte finishes, but sometimes on small shaped items I have achieved a decent matte finish by using a large diamond burr in my pendant drill.

James

I've had some ceramic 'shot' for ages and never really used it so I thought I'd give it a go.
    I had a spare tieclip blank that I had wrinkled a bit in the past.
    I gave it a quick polish and then masked one end with tape to give a polished reference finish and also gave the mid section on one side a light abrade with P400 paper
    Then tumbled for about 45 mins. ( forgot to turn it off earlier!)
    Photos attached. The abraded section hardly shows different except when angled to the light.
    Not sure how the photos will appear on the forum but feel free to pm me if you need better quality.
    Hope that helps with your query Kathryn
    TimClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	8574Click image for larger version. 

Views:	55 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	8575Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	8576

Love the flick mops (but I wear with my biggest safety glasses). Just took this snap with my phone. The ring is textured and the edges burnished but gives you an idea - silver has been darkened slightly and used a red (fine grade) flick mop Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-01-15 19.21.05.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	8582