Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Topaz

Default Blue Topaz

Hi guys I have just bought a load of facetted Blue Topaz and am finding it hard to get the pictures right , the stones are coming out darker than they are how can i rectify this

Here are some suggestions:

1.Improve the lighting by adding another lamp, or by using daylight, for instance on a windowsill.
    2.Indoors use a sparkler. You can improvise by using a torch or table lamp, with ten or so LEDs, provided it is of similar colour temperature to your main lighting.
    3.If you have a camera and are shooting on white increase the exposure compensation.
    4.Change the colour intensity and/or saturation with a simple editing programme. Some come free.

However, most gemstone dealers list three colours for blue topaz: Sky blue, Swiss blue and London blue. Which is yours? Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 15-01-2016 at 03:23 AM.

almost clear comes from pakistan I am just waiting to hear what mine

Pale blue is one of the natural colours, but most people go for the darker blues produced by irradiation.

Lightbox underneath the stones?

Simple daylight should help you

Quote Originally Posted by glitterandgem View Post
    Hi guys I have just bought a load of facetted Blue Topaz and am finding it hard to get the pictures right , the stones are coming out darker than they are how can i rectify this
    Hi. Are you still having problems with this?

If so what is your current set up? Are you using daylight or artificial lights? What is the white balance setting in the camera? What about the camera colour profile - are you using any? Are you editing the JPEG or the raw photo? What software are you using to edit the photos?

It could be that the white balance isn't right. Make sure that the white balance setting matches the light source. You could take one photo with a white balance card in the shot and use this photo to set the white balance in your editor.

Or the levels for the mids might be off - you can use a levels adjustment to change where the mid level is to see if this works.

Again, this is a 4 year old thread.

Just about to say that Peter lol, beat me to it