Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire diameeter

Default Wire diameeter

I want to make a chain bracelet. I've cut some 1mm silver into 1.5ish cm rings but they look a bit flimsy and liable to distort. Suggestions for minimum wire diameter? Some of the rings/links will have stuff added..which could increase the distortion risk.
    (I am however quite pleased I can still use a saw to cut rings, years since I did that!)
    Thanks
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

The problem Wendy is that the act of soldering jump rings shut anneals the wire and renders it subject to distortion. But then you probably know that.
    If you want a delicate effect you can solder two lengths of wire side by side, and use that stock instead. Introducing solder into the equation stiffens the rings no end.

Otherwise, I would start at 1.5mm for the large rings, possibly connecting then with finer much smaller rings. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bc1 Bracelet collection.jpg   bc2 Bracelet details.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The problem Wendy is that the act of soldering jump rings shut anneals the wire and renders it subject to distortion.
    OK, I'm packed and ready to leave the country now, but can't help getting distracted by the forum and sticking my Argentium oar in... It's clear to me that, though tarnish resistance is more talked about, and the option of fusing rather than soldering is great, probably the main advantage Argentium can offer the small-scale jeweller over traditional sterling is the ease with which finished pieces can be precipitation hardened... So you never have to worry about delicate parts being softened by annealing while torching them - though you might have to look out for any non-metal parts that could suffer from being cooked for a couple of hours at 300C.
    Alan

I have found that idea seductive, but without a kiln, I'm reluctant to get in the dog house for trashing our domestic oven. Dennis

I tried joining wires but it isn't the look I want, so I've been trying to order some 2mm wire. Is there any supplier who doesn't quote a price then slap on an outrageous shipping charge at checkout? I think £3 is the lowest for RM second class (which is something like 70p isn't it, and maybe 10p for a small padded envelope)
    It really irritates me and so far I haven't ordered.

(BTW I do know how to spell diameter)
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I tried joining wires but it isn't the look I want, so I've been trying to order some 2mm wire. Is there any supplier who doesn't quote a price then slap on an outrageous shipping charge at checkout? I think £3 is the lowest for RM second class (which is something like 70p isn't it, and maybe 10p for a small padded envelope)
    It really irritates me and so far I haven't ordered.

(BTW I do know how to spell diameter)
    Cookson is always offering freepost if you can wait, usually the minute after I've ordered something I get an email saying FREEPOST!

I might just be patient and buy from my man in India. I think it has put me off each and every one of the UK ones, unless someone knows of a company which doesn't add (shipping and VAT for goodness sake) at checkout It's infuriating and so C20.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Cookson is always offering freepost if you can wait
    ^^ that

Cooksons are pretty reliable on coming up with a freepost offer (particularly just after a sale, but you can't have it every which way).

All reasonably sized companies charge VAT - its a function of their income and VAT is charged on delivery too.

I received a small order from Rashbel recently that had a resonable p&p charge, but a much bigger one from Cookies with a freepost Freepost is music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I tried joining wires but it isn't the look I want, so I've been trying to order some 2mm wire. (BTW I do know how to spell diameter)
    2.0mm wire is what I use for ring shanks Wendy. I thought you were making a bracelet?

Yes, but I want something substantial. Pearls will be involved.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk