Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9ct gold clasp for dragonscale

Default 9ct gold clasp for dragonscale

Hi.

I'm planning to make a 9ct gold dragonscale bracelet for a client. Currently i'm making a mock version with silverplated copper to get an idea of the size and amount of wire needed.
    I love the slide / tube clasp for the dragonscale weave however i cannot find a pure gold version of it.

The closest i've found is this
    9ct Yellow 3 Row Rectangular Bracelet Slide Clasp, 3 X 16mm

Would that clasp be durable enough to secure the bracelet?
    The weight is almost 400 grams in gold by my current estimates.

In the picture i've sized the caliper to the size of the clasp and showing a smaller dragonscale with a tube clasp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_2790_DxO.jpg  

I think If I was investing that much in metal I would be prepared to have the clasp you want made up and cast/handmade and make sure its suited to the job 400 grams is a big old bracelet

I also think a basic tube clasp is is a bad idea. Not only is it going to be risky in terms of being strong enough for a wide dragonscale, but it will hugely detract from the finished look. You really want to go full width with either a tube or box clasp, and I would agree with Josef, have it fabricated if you don't have the facilities to make it yourself.

Having made several similar pieces in the past, I'd also highly recommend adding a safety chain

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    You really want to go full width with either a tube or box clasp
    Welcome to the forum.
    I agree. Full width would be more in keeping with the piece and you wouldn't want to sacrifice that after investing so much time and metal.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Didn't even think of having one fabricated. Got any suggestions for where i can get one made?

Also a safety chain sounds like an excellent idea, i don't have any soldering equipment though. Is it possible to add safety chains without soldering?

Definitely needs full width. I can make you one, as I'm sure many others can, If you post dimensions you need I can pm a quote in gold if you wish.

The width is 48mm.
    I've finished the mockup and it came to 1584 jumprings and 30 meters of wire needed. So that comes to just about 265 grams in gold wire weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Johannesen View Post
    The width is 48mm.
    I've finished the mockup and it came to 1584 jumprings and 30 meters of wire needed. So that comes to just about 265 grams in gold wire weight.
    Cor blimey!!!!

Diameter 1.000 MM
    Length

Weight 263.89 GM
    £3,127.10 exc. VAT
    £3,752.52 inc. VAT

i think that you will need to get some soldering equipment as i would hate to see that much gold coming lose

Neil
    Neil

Is it possible to solder on a dragonscale weave?