Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trouble shooting..

Unfortunately the public don't generally know any different & alot of retailers are abit clueless too.

Nevermind eh
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 11-01-2016 at 05:31 PM.

I have had many encounters with this lately, it is frustrating. I was just asked to tidy up a ring which had seven out of eight culets ground off, I objected to touching the job and was met with disbelief. I am mostly self taught through trial and error, every job I do, I do to the best of my ability and I am proud of where I am today. I get told I am too fussy but I think if I am not fussy then I will not become who I want to be professionally. My favourite one lately is the "designer" brands with all the micro pave falling out when someone works on it and the glue gets removed. I tell them I'll be happy to remove the rest of the glue and set the stones for $, they are less than receptive. I even had one semi-mount sent to me to set the centre and half the ring was just glued, no beads pushed over the stones at all. 90 stones they forgot to set.

The other one I've been seeing is them leaving grow lines all over the ring instead of cleaning it up.

I've got it
    The next designer craze rough cast rings, cast with stones in place and sent to you without all the extra costly steps of finishing, sharp spots, sprues and even flanges if your lucky?!!?!?

Maybe million $$$ idea

Just sell casting & stones in a DIY pack?
    Anyway latest update is that another goldsmith completed them but did agree with the fact the stones would be better if slightly bigger.

Possibly a matter of ethics.
    Do it right or just take the money...

Also nowadays everyone wants to be able to do abit of everything, which is going to take a lot longer to master than sticking to one craft ( which is basically what you had to choose years ago ).
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 13-01-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Chris, just curious, in you profile pic on your website you have a tool on your bench, looks like a ring holder of some sort. Is it a type of GRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Chris, just curious, in you profile pic on your website you have a tool on your bench, looks like a ring holder of some sort. Is it a type of GRS.
    Hi Pat, It is a grs microblock but it`s jura`s version...juratools.com

I`ll just add that the only reason I started using the microblock is because it`s easier to keep the work focused using the microscope...if you still want a benchpin (and can still see), then a benchmate system is better.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 14-01-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Hi Pat, It is a grs microblock but it`s jura`s version...juratools.com
    As an aside - are you aware the new tools don't quite fit the old setup? Jura changed manufacturer and the new ones are a fractionally different size, although they can be modified to fit with a file.

Heard something about that, however I'm ok with the few bits I have for now.
    Luckily they have been well made.

Be nice to have everything he has on offer but keep getting the lotto numbers wrong.

Sadly seen quite a few examples of this in requests for models Chris......

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Sadly seen quite a few examples of this in requests for models Chris......
    Models of rings from manfacturers?
    They tend to be quite poor examples.

From manufacturers but more so from designers, particularly with no consideration of the changes occurring during casting and for subsequent setting of stones!!